Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Optical drive problem...

• Please log in to reply

D3_Kamikaze

D3_Kamikaze

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hey there,

A little while ago after changing my power supply, one of my DVD drives stopped working. Right now it won't read data correctly off a CD, refuses to play music CDs and DVDs for more than a few seconds, and just plain refuses to work properly.

I thought originally it was something to do with the power supply, but it looks fine. I've checked all the connections, they're good, tried a few different power connectors, none of them fix the problem. The PS should be more than powerful enough to run everything inside my PC and then some, so I don't think that's the issue.

Since then I've re-installed XP once for other reasons and it's still not working right, which means it's not an OS problem... All I can think of now is that it's broken somehow, and I'll have to replace it.

The optical drive in question is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try another data cable they do go bad from time to time