Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots randomly every 5 - 20 mins

• Please log in to reply

sak1134

sak1134

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, am new to the forums. I have checked around a bit to find someone with my exact problem but given my computer reboots randomly every few minutes it's kind of tough.

Once the system comes up I get the standard "Windows has recovered from a serious error message" and the following code when I look at the details

BCCode 100000d1
BC1: 0000247C
BC2: 00000002
BC3: 00000000
BC4: F66CFAC2

SP: 2.0
Prod: 768.1

I have run all sorts of malware and virus programs and updated my video driver as well as deinstalling quicktime as it was the last program loaded on the machine.

Can anyone assist?

Many Thanks

Have some new info. I turned off the automatic restart so I could get the BSOD

I Get the message Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_equal

0X000000D1 (0X0000247C, 0X00000002, 00000000, 0XF6E5AC2)

I found that this may be some sort of driver error but I haven't updated any drivers besides the video driver and I did that after the problem began occuring.

Edited by sak1134, 09 February 2008 - 11:18 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hello sak1134,

try a System Restore to before this problem started occurring.

Click on Start then Programs, Accessories, System Tools and finally System Restore. Pick a date a couple days before the problem started if possible.

sak1134

sak1134

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Rich, I would like to but my system restore had been switched to off quite some time ago.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you per chance have Nvidia Firewall installed? If so, uninstall it and either use the one that comes with XP or install Comodo Firewall.

sak1134

sak1134

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not as far as I know. The only firewalls I have used is the Windows XP supplied, and now the one that comes with AVG anti-virus. (The AVG was installed post problem)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please post a description of your hardware.
  • Make and model
  • CPU speed
  • Amount of ram
  • Video card/chipset make/model
  • How you connect to the network (Ethernet card/USB adapter)
  • Any connected/installed devices internal or external
Also, what have you done recently?
  • Did you install any new software or hardware?
  • Did you run a registry cleaner

sak1134

sak1134

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Gateway 710
Pentium 4 3.0GHZ
1 Gig Ram
ATI 9600
Connect via wireless linksys card

Newest software is ITunes and it has been on the machine for several weeks before the issue.

I have not run a registry cleaner - recommendations welcome.

Tried to run memtest but I don't tend to stay up that long. Sometimes 2 mins sometimes 20 and no rhyme or reason to it

Thanks for the help, forgive the short responses I never know if I am going to switch off.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, thanks. It's a desktop system with a built in Ethernet port that you've added a wireless Linksys PCI card to then?

Download and run Everest Home Edition. Click on Computer / Sensor and post a screen shot of the data here. Hoping to see temps and voltages.

See here for how to post a screen shot: http://www.geekstogo...st-t185663.html

sak1134

sak1134

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here it is, hope this works

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, the data is there but unfortunately everything looks normal. Temps and voltages are all good.

Let's try using Safe Mode to help debug this a bit.

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then do a normal boot:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.

Advertisements

sak1134

sak1134

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Funny that it is unfortunate that everything looks normal :) Of course the thought of a new power supply and video card would not have brought me to tears as I want one anyway.

I will follow all your instructions when I get home this evening, and will do my best to test throughly (kind of tricky when the PC decides to work for 30 mins and i start to feel good about things, not hard at all when it dies in 3.)

Thanks again for all the assistance.

sak1134

sak1134

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Am slogging my way through the start up menu (thought I found the problem but was wrong, it just takes a while to crash the first time).

I do have another issue I would like some assistance with. My old virus software by symantac (sp) did not de-install properly or entirely. Can you advise the easiest way to be rid of it entirely? It may not be the cause of my problem but it can't be helping either.

Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Use the removal tools(s) from the Symantec web site. Which one depends on what version you need to remove.

Google shows these: manually remove nortom

sak1134

sak1134

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Edit: am now at work so I can send a proper response.

I went through all of the start up and services as directed and still BSOD. They seem to keep coming closer together almost like something is dying. By the end of the brief time I was able to spend last night I could only get the PC to boot in Safe mode and then not for long.

Edited by sak1134, 13 February 2008 - 12:46 PM.

sak1134

sak1134

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think I got it, going on the theory of it might be a hardware problem I yanked out my network card and sound card and whammo no BSOD. Put in the sound card no BSOD. Put in the wireless network card and BSOD in about 10 seconds. So hopefully that is it, am going to check for a new driver, but if none available a new card won't kill me.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I'm all patched up. Will advise if otherwise