Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatible usb adapter

• Please log in to reply

Desiree919

Desiree919

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Please help I am living out in the boonies with my folks and I brought my computer. We got the wireless router from the phone company (a westell 327w) and I am having a hard time tracking down a wireless usb adapter. Will one from another manufacturer work or does it have to be a westell wireless adapter? And if there is another option brand wise can someone tell me what my options would be? I only need to pick up the signal from 6 feet away. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Wireless adapters will pick up the signal of other routers. They don't have to be specific to brand. Everyone has their own brand preferences. I like Netgear and Linksys the most, however, it doesn't have to necessarily be one of those two. Six feet away is practically nothing, it's easily done. Is there a specific store you want me to help you check with?

Desiree919

Desiree919

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am trying to find one under 50 if possible that works on a desktop and laptop compatible with vista. I am a college student and money is tight. A store or online works just need to know good choice.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I like Linksys products. I can't say they are the best though. EXAMPLE

You might check Ebay, or if you want it pronto, Target usually carries them. (if you have a Target store near you) I live in the boonies myself, that is why I am suggesting Target. It is the only big store other than Wallymart

Edited by PsychPosse, 08 February 2008 - 09:44 PM.

Desiree919

Desiree919

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Where is the cheapest deal on this adapter? I have been browsing prices and they seem to range in price quite a bit. I am totally new to this so I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
be weary of the "cheaptest deal".

You want a good product from a reliable source that will warrant it.

If you would care to say where you live, I can help find what is in your area.
Just your Zipcode will be sufficient.

Desiree919

Desiree919

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Longbranch , wa 98351.....a good online store would work as well. thanks so much for your time!

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
check out Tiger Direct

Tiger direct

Desiree919

Desiree919

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I checked out the link that you advised and it kept talking about an ethernet cable. Am I thinking about the right thing to use the internet? I was told it was a little thing you stick into your usb port to pick up a signal and is wireless. Also that one seems to have had rather bad reviews can you give me a couple ideas brand wise to look at and what to watch out for?

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
that link was of a Linksys USB net adapter.. no cables. $30.99

you can look for Belkin products as well.

I stick to Linksys myself. Haven't had any bad experiences with them.

Ooops.. my mistake.. I did post the wrong link.. sorry.

Edited by PsychPosse, 08 February 2008 - 10:13 PM.

Advertisements

Desiree919

Desiree919

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok. again sorry I am wasting your time but would you reccomend buying an adapter off ebay or other sites? Or is it best to go to an actual store? It is a long ways (80+ miles) to the closest reputable electronics store.....

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I am multitasking,, thats why I did the wrong link. Your not wasting my time.

You could search Ebay, just check out the seller ratings before buying.

here is a tiger direct link to wireless adapters. Tiger Direct

I am sure there are other sites too.. Do a google for Wireless USB Net Adapters

Desiree919

Desiree919

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I found this one. http://www.radioshac...d=2260636....Is this a good price and is this a good choice? Does it work with vista or does that even matter? Thank you so much for your help....I don't feel so lost now.!

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
The link just takes me to Radio Shacks homepage. Not sure what your looking at there.

Desiree919

Desiree919

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry ....http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2260636&cp=&sr=1&origkw=wireless+network+linksys&kw=wireless+network+linksys&parentPage=search. It is an linksys adapter for 39.99