Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatible usb adapter

• Please log in to reply

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
It will work. That one may not be "ready" out of the box for Vista,, but you can get the Vista driver at Linksys. HERE

Advertisements

Desiree919

Desiree919

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So do I need to look for adapters that are compatible with Vista? I just want to make sure I am not buying something that won't work on my pc since I also have a laptop I use occasionally that is Vista as well. Now are usb adapters in your opinion a good choice for my situation. I heard someone talk about a pc card but I heard you have to take your desktop apart to install that is why I was looking into the usb adapter. I am no where near smart enough to feel confident in taking my computer apart.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
PC cards can be done, however, if you can use a USB adapter, I think they would work about the same. The PC card just basically hides it from your eyes. You will want to find an adapter with is compatible with Vista, preferably "out of the box". The system requirements will be listed on the box, so just make sure Vista is on there.

Now, that adapter you have from RadioShack will work. What may happen is that when you physically pick up the box, Vista may not be listed. However, I found the Vista driver for it online. Click here to have a look. You would need to download the "Vista Driver".

The way this would work is this... Assuming the box doesn't say that it has drivers for Vista, you can still buy the product, and you should be able to use the install CD, and then install the Vista drivers I have linked you to. In theory, this should work. Please note that it's always better to buy a product that says Vista right on the box though.

Desiree919

Desiree919

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok so I bought one online and its a linksys wireless -g-usb adapter . The box doesn't list vista only up to xp but you are saying I most likely can use this with the vista? I did what you said and found one on ebay with a experienced seller with good ratings and got it for 22.50. Is that a good price for brand new? Also I might be coming back to you to help me set it up but I wanted to say thank you. It was much easier to shop when I knew what to buy! Thank you PSYCHPOSSE AND Facedown98 for everything!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The price should be ok, it sounds reasonable. While the drivers will likely only be compatible with XP, W2K, etc. You should be able to download the Vista compatible driver from the Linksys website. Let us know if you need help with that.

Good luck! :)

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
You are welcome.

Let us know how it goes, when you get it. :)