Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forcing Compatibility

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Alright I have a Logitech QuickCam Messenger (webcam) and I had an XP before but it crashed and I had to get a Vista. The webcam was completely compatibile with my XP but I found out from the Logitech that it is ONLY compatible with XP's :|. Crock, huh? I was wondering if there was any way around that. I've seen quite a bit of compatibility issues with Vista which sucks a lot but I've also seen a lot of people who have got AROUND the compatibility issues and got some programs and what not to work with vista when it really shouldn't (including my own self, I got Photoshop CS2 to work and it isn't even compatible with Vista).

Does anyone have any advice or do ya think I'm s.o.l?

Advertisements

justmike

justmike

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
You might want to get a cam that's compatible with Vista unless you can find an alternative driver for your current one.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
...No offense but I'm here for input of someone who's had more than 3 posts.

justmike

justmike

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had the same problem as you, posts shouldn't be an issue. That's very naive...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Well I don't know anything about webcams, so I can't really comment here, but I do have the higher post-count :)

I think you should get yourself a new one that is "Vista Compatible". If you can't find drivers for Vista on the Logitech website, then it won't work.

Troy.

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Thank you for replying.

Well I have solved the problem with this link and I think, if later on anyone has the same problem, they can use this. It worked completely for me and I can now use my uncompatible QuickCam (webcam) with Windows Vista!

Anyone just follow the instructions and it should work perfectly:
http://www.mydigital...comment-page-1/

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

...No offense but I'm here for input of someone who's had more than 3 posts.

Imagine if someone like Bill Gates, or even Pierluigi Zappacosta, were to sign up as a member of G2G and the first post they stumbled across was yours, but you didn't respect their intended good gesture because they obviously lacked experience; it is evident in the number of posts they have made.

Everyone here is learning and sharing what they know, for "Free". You certainly do not have to follow anyones advice and it is good to be a critical thinker as even the most knowledgable person can give poor advice sometimes. But please have some respect for their effort to help even if it conflicts with the sort of help you desired.

I am glad you found the drivers to make your cam work.

Thank you, for sharing what you found too.

Had justmike been Bill Gates, or Pierluigi Zappacosta, you probably would have gotten a response like Troy suggested, and you would go directly to the source. Logitech :)

Edited by PsychPosse, 11 February 2008 - 08:21 PM.

justmike

justmike

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I appreciate your post PsychPosse, thanks! :)