Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE not allowing downloads, error message

• Please log in to reply

Brewbanga

Brewbanga

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Good evening, I have IE7, and for some reason I cannot see embedded videos (youtube, etc) or download email attchments. I was thinking it was Flash and I uninstalled (followed the directions of a previous post on GTG), but now I cant install it. The error message that pops up when I try to download anything is:

"IE cannot download uninstall_flash_player.exe from download.macromedia.com. IE was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

It isnt the site or the file, that dialog pops up with anything (email attach, etc) I try to download. I checked the Custom Level in the Security tab and everything is enabled or set for prompt with ActiveX.

Please help and thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
It's possible that you have a malware on your computer that is preventing you from downloading. Did you run a check with AVG anti-virus, Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-aware?

If you haven't I suggest that you do it first, and if you still have problems, you can always take a look at this and follow the instructions there.

Hope this helps. :)

Brewbanga

Brewbanga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I cant run any of those programs because I cant download them. I only have Norton AV. I ran system restore (I think), it went so fast after the prompt that I dont know what it did. Im stuck........

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Could you try downloading them from another workable computer, save the setup files to a removable disk and install them on your computer?

System restore is not needed, unless your hard disk is totally corrupted until the point of non-functionality.