Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Blue Screen Error 0x0000008E

• Please log in to reply

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I don't believe anyone, including Dell, asked me to do anything in the Bios. I've been in there before, but wouldn't touch a thing without instructions! That place makes me nervous!

(I actually did access the Bios tonight, per something in the instructions that came with the ATI card, before I installed it. But what I looked at looked like it matched what they noted, so I moved on.)

Let's try - it's worth a shot!

Thanks, Kristi

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All righty then....

Boot into the BIOS Setup (usually F2 during the boot). In the BIOS screen, use th down arrow key to select "Integrated Devices" and press "Enter".

In the pop-up window, look for "Primary Video Controller" and note what it is set to. (should be either AGP or Auto). This needs to be set to AGP. If it's not, use the + key to change the value.

Below Primary Video controller should be "Video DAC Snoop"...this needs to be "Off". If it's On, change the value using the + key.

Press the Esc key to close the pop-up window, then press the Esc key again and choose to "Save and Exit"...press "Enter".

Let the machine boot and let me know what you found.

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
While in the BIOS Setup, I noticed it said BIOS Revision A05.

I don't have a selection called "Integrated Devices." I do have:

System
Drives
Onboard Devices
Video
Performance
Security
Power Management
Mainenance
POST Behavior

Within "Onboard Devices," there are 3 selections:
Integrated NIC - set to On, as opposed to Off or On w/ PXE
Integrated Audio - set to off
USB Controller - set to on

Under "Video," there is only 1 selection:
Primary Video - set to PEG as opposed to PCI
(there is a note for the : Field only applies to PCI video controller installed in the 32 bit 33 mhz PCI expansion slot. This option will be reversed if it is installed into a 64 bit PCI-X expansion slot.

I also noticed under "Maintenance":
SERR DMI Message: This field controlls the SERR DMI message mechanism. Some graphics cards require that the SERR DMI mechanism be disabled.
It is set to On.

Hope something in here helps. :)

Thanks, Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Set the Primary Video to PCI and turn the SERR DMI to Off

Save the changes and see what happens..... :)

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Looks good so far. :) Rebooted with no problems and have been jumping around the web and nothing yet (*crosses fingers). It's been about the max amount of time it usually takes, so that's a good sign.

I have GOT to get some sleep, but will be working from home tomorrow so I will definitely spend some time on here and let you know what happens.

Thank you again!! Have a good night! Kristi

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Good afternoon!

I honestly have not spent as much time on here as would have liked today, to test it out, due to work demands. I've probably logged about an hour total. I had walked away to get some work done, returned about an hour later and had a blue screen with the 0x000007 code. :)

Guess it's not over yet......I haven't heard anybody singing anyway. :)

Thanks, Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We seem to be getting closer...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Manage". In the left pane of the management console, expand "System Tools", then expand "Event Viewer", and click on "System". In the right pane, look for the most recent error (should be marked with a red icon) and post that information here for me.

Boot into the BIOS Setup, and turn the DMI setting back on...save the change and let it boot normally.

Run it for a while and let me know if it blue screens.

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
The most recent log is from 10:41 am yesterday. There is nothing (!!) in there since then. Is that bad? Lol. It's useless I'm sure, but here is that log from yesterday:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

In Manage-->System Tools-->Event Viewer-->Application, there are these 3 warnings from 3:43 pm today:

wuauclt (4548) An attempt to read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" at offset 4227072 (0x0000000000408000) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes failed with system error 998 (0x000003e6): "Invalid access to memory location. ". The read operation will fail with error -1022 (0xfffffc02). If this error persists then the file may be damaged and may need to be restored from a previous backup.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

wuauclt (4548) An attempt to read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" at offset 2338816 (0x000000000023b000) for 32768 (0x00008000) bytes failed with system error 998 (0x000003e6): "Invalid access to memory location. ". The read operation will fail with error -1022 (0xfffffc02). If this error persists then the file may be damaged and may need to be restored from a previous backup.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

wuauclt (4548) An attempt to read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" at offset 2326528 (0x0000000000238000) for 12288 (0x00003000) bytes failed with system error 998 (0x000003e6): "Invalid access to memory location. ". The read operation will fail with error -1022 (0xfffffc02). If this error persists then the file may be damaged and may need to be restored from a previous backup.

I came back to gtg.com after I looked at that information and got blue screen 0x00000007. Rebooted and went and changed the DMI setting to on, then rebooted back into regular mode with no problems.

Thank you, Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Keep me posted, Kristi.

The last blue screen may have been associated with the DMI setting. Without trying it, I had no way of knowing whether your new video card required it or not. We had a 50-50 chance that you would not have to visit the BIOS settings again......we lost. :)

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Actually after I posted earlier, I was on the internet and I got the blue screen 0x0000007. I restarted and received the same blue screen during start up. I restarted again and didn't have any problems.

That was after the DMI setting change, so I guess it didn't fix it. Boo hoo!

Kristi

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is there a letter designation after the 0x00000007...like f or e?

The next time you see the blue screen, copy down all the numbers in parenthesis following the 0x00000007 error code. That may allow me to pin it down a little better.

When you ran the disk check at Dell's request, did you use the cd to start the check or did you start it from within Windows and have it run on startup?

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello again wannabe1!

No, there is no letter designation after the code. It's the most frequent one I have been getting over the past couple of days now.

0x 000 000 8E (This is the one I got constantly when this all started)

0x 000 000 07 (0x00000005, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) is frequently the following 4, I wrote them down a few times and they matched

Assuming there will be another blue screen, I will record them again. The only time I have seen anything else on the screen is the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL maybe 2 or 3 times now total. Never any files names or anything else. I think that text has appeared the couple of times I have gotten 0x00000050.

Dell had me run the dskchk from within windows to start on start up, both times they had me run it.

I believe we ran chkdsk /r the first time. There was a bad sector or sectors found and it also said they were repaired or corrected or something. At another point it said: Replaced bad clusters in File 82996. I did not get all of the file name but it ended in ......\River_~4.cas.

The second time we ran it I couldn't seem to ever get to regular mode, so they had me start it in safe mode in windows and I believe that is the time we ran chkdsk /f /r . No problems were found that time that I ever saw. The second time is when the system would complete the scan and reboot, and then start the scan all over again.

Thanks, Kristi

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What model Dell is this? I'd like to check on a few CPU related issues I've run across.

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
It's a Dell XPS 400.

And just since my last post a half hour ago.

On the web, blue screen popped up:
0x00000007 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Restarted, got a blue screen immediately:
0x0000007F (0x00000005, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Restarted, no problems, went to the web, came to gtg, had just hit reply, got blue screen:
0x0000007F (0x00000005, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Restarted again, no problems. It seems it's happening more often again.

Thanks, Kristi

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Clicked add reply on that last post, got a blue screen. Sorry, I was so mad I didn't even look at the code, I just powered off. I wasn't even sure if the post had gone through until I looked now.

When I came back to gtg.com this time and last time both, it only recognized me as a guest and I had to log in. I've been using the same bookmark ever time, and that's never happened before. So that's different, although maybe not important.

Thanks, Kristi