Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No hard drive found

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Every so often my dell 4550 stops on the boot and says o boot disk found. I can shut down and then power up and it will boot into windows normally. I did a seagate test and it found in the file structure test " failed with critical errors partition 1 ntfs. I did have a blue screen caused my NV4_disp nd fixed that with a upgraded driver from Nvidia. I also have done a chkdsk and will know later if that worked. . Has anyone ran into this problem. Bruce

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It sounds like your hard drive is going bad. Getting just a few bad sectors in the boot section of the drive causes this. More than likely a HD replacement is in order.

SRX660

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have read that he seagate utility had problems with NTFS. I will ignore that and replace the drive and cmos battery. I will check the voltage in the battery first. I booted up this mourning and I got the no disk found. I shut it down and two tries later it booted into windows. All day it booted fine. I shut it down and booted up 4 hours later and got the no disk error. It took a few shut downs and restarts to get into windows. I down believe it is the power supply or memory. So I will replace the drive but keep the other intact just in case I am wrong. It is sometime so hard to fix a problem that is not there all the time. Thanks Bruce