Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random shutdowns + other distinct behaviours,

• Please log in to reply

amsleeping

amsleeping

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello.. i need some of your helps... actually all of it hehe
My computer seems to go into a continuous power saving mode except that it wun respond to anything.... :)

Wat happens when it freezes/hang or i dun know the correct term for this...
1.monitor in power saving mode, HDD and power light on casing is on (not blinking")...
2.cd-rom drives can open close... but no response...
3. cannot off the computer (using the button)
4. Hard Reset (use button) results in same thing again (casing lights go off and on, indicating computer has reseted but it just ends up being stuck again from the start)
5. Off power source and on back again = same thing as number 4
6. Disconnected all HDD and on = same
7. Disconnected all Cd drives and on = same
8. Took 1 ram stick out(i have 2x256mb pc3200 ddr) and on = same
9. swap the ram for the other = same
10. disconnected all USB hubs, extensions, HDD, cd-drives, mouse, keyboard, speaker(fed up oledi) = same "([bleep] angry!!) ;)
11. Lastly, IMPORTANT = Turning on the pc after the problem will result in the same crap... but if i leave it for a long period of time (10 hours+), it will be normal again when i boot it up.... so its definitely not temperature... (mine is about 45-55 celcius for CPU)

I alwiz leave my pc on 24 hours a day... it only occured recently when my little brother snuck into my room and tried to stupidly bypass the windows password by installing a 3.5 inch floppy drive in my computer and booting up with his floppy.... dun know wat he did... :mad: he himself doesnt know... ;) all i know is that i came back and sis reported that my com had a loud buzzing sound.... it was coming from the floppy drive so I removed it but then this crappy problem comes up... so help here plz :tazz:

PC specs - Self assembled (2 yr old stable system)
AMD athlon 1800
2x256mb PC3200 ddr (GeiL + Apacer) (New apacer working fine for 3 months now)
32mb Gforce2mx
120gb Maxtor
40Gb seagate
LG dvdrw
Lite on cdrw
350W iCUTE psu (shud not be insufficient power.... working fine with this config for a year)
PCI lan card
oya motherboard= Gigabyte 7VT-600L (K7 triton series - KT600 mb)

Thx for reading but thx more for replying big :)

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Well this is a hard one you certainly have tried alot of different things and gave us good details.

Now just to be clear when the computer does this you tried removing the hard drive and boot up into bios but nothing. Am I correct?

If this is true I would first try another video card
Then I would try another psu
Maybe after the cool down period they work again for awhile
If none of the above then I would suspect the mobo or cpu

Rick

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Doby rules...

(just felt the need to say good job on your efforts in this forum)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Oh thanks so much, once in awhile that is good to here cause sometimes things don't always go as planned

amsleeping

amsleeping

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
will try that later... thx dobi
but another thing is that instead of mobo making beeping sounds... its making crackling sounds..??

amsleeping

amsleeping

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
NOOOO... now it wun boot up.... it ons for 1 second and goes off... tryiing to turn it on again = nothing happens
wait for a minute and turn it on = on for 1 sec and poof again
SAVE MEE

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The crackeling sound could you tell where it was coming from, the speaker? or could it have been coming from underneath the board

This sounds like some kind of short reset the ram and remove all cards ecept video but make sure that is seated good, inspect the gold connectors for any sign of a short, I doubt any of this will work.

Look closely at the mobo for bulging or leaking capacitors, the next step would be to take the mobo out of the case and look at the underneath for burn or scortch marks.

post back with your results but most likely a dead board

Rick

Edited by Doby, 23 April 2005 - 05:03 PM.

amsleeping

amsleeping

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the crackling sound is coming from the casing speakers.... nothing is wrong wif the speakers though... i tried it on another speaker = same crackle...
Are you sure its the mobo... not the PSU?? i seriously hope its not the mobo
i tried disconnecting the mobo only from the PSU... the cd-drives and hdd still connected but wun even turn on... is tat supposed to happen? or do they need the mobo to turn on?
Lastly, how do you search for short pins??? Burnt black or wat.... I cudnt find any scorch marks though... it looks alrite to me...
Thx dobby though... u r my only replier and helper haha :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No I am not at all sure the board is bad since you determined that the cracking was from the speaker so it could be the psu

tried disconnecting the mobo only from the PSU... the cd-drives and hdd still connected but wun even turn on... is tat supposed to happen? or do they need the mobo to turn on?

With out the psu connected to the mobo the psu should not have turned on therefore the drives would not light/spin up.

If you have a volt meter we can test the psu

If you looked the board over carefully you would have seen visible signs of a short, lets not worry about that I may have jumped the gun a little with that crackeling noise

Rick