Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet access problems

• Please log in to reply

remdog21

remdog21

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having a big problem with my computer and am in no way a computer literate guy!!!!! I am able to access the internet, but can not access numerous sites where you need a log on and password. Example: I am able to look at Yahoo and all of it stuff (sports investments etc) but the minute I try and click on the mail button it comes up as not being available. I have the same problem with MSN and not being able to access Hotmail. I am also having the same problem with sites where I need a log on and password such as USAJOBS and monster. I am able to brouse, but as soon as I want to enter the member section when I click on the button it comes up as unavailable. Someone please help I am up to any suggestions, but please explain to me like I am an idiot because if you try and use computer speak I will be lost. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me so I do not have to bring in some overpriced computer tech for something that is probably simple.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
What browser are you using? Internet Explorer? Firefox? You may ahve your internet security protections set too high? Is this a home computer or one on a network at a job? Sometimes those are blocked.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
it looks like your having problems acessing secured sites.

Try to lower down the security settings of your browser. If your using Internet Explorer
Go to Internet Explorer, At the top click on TOOLS > click INTERNET OPTIONS > Click Privacy TAB (at the top of the window) > and set the settings to LOW .. Also go to ADVANCE tab (at the top of the window at the very right) > and then click restore or reset defaults at the lower right hand corner of the window .

Also try to disable your firewall settings disabling firewall depends on what internet security you are using. Also if you are using a router sometimes it might interfere with the connection. Let us know if you have a router (a device connected between your computer and the modem) .

remdog21

remdog21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my home computer and I do not have a router and I am running internet explorer. WYTboy55 I tried what you said and it still will not let me go to the sites that require a password. Appreciate the assistance, but if you have any more ideas I would greatly appreciate it and thanks for dumbing down what to do so a computer illiterate person as myself can evern follow the steps

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Stabs in the dark here: but did you purchase this computer from a business etc. that may have had settings on it. If not, try this advice:
Open IE
Go to tools>>
Internet Options>>
Content >>>and look at some of those settings.

Check the
Privacy tab >>is it allowing cookies

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
If you do not have a router ? what internet security are you using ? if you dont know what internet security you have. Go to START>CONTROL PANEL>ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS and look for the internet security you are using there.

HERE are some examples:

Norton or Symantec INTERNET Security
McAfee Internet Security
Trend Micro PCCILLIN Internet Security
Computer Associates Internet Security (CA INTERNET SECURITY)
Avast Internet Security
AVG

If you found any of these, you can try to disable them.
If you need help disabling them just let us know.