Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attempted ram upgrade, now my monitor doesn't recieve signal

• Please log in to reply

Xhai

Xhai

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys. I'm having some computer problems, let me explain:

I'm running an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard with 2 x 512mb of ram. A few months ago I got another 2 x 512mb sticks of ram off a friend who had recently upgraded. I still had 2 vacant slots for ram on my motherboard, so I put these 2 new sticks in along side my existing ram. I thought this would give me 2gb ram total, but instead, I turned the computer on after the ram was installed and it started up just as normal, but the screen remained blank. It was like the monitor wasn't getting any signal from the computer. So i turned it off and removed the ram I had just put in, then started the computer up again and it worked fine, just like before. They were both DDR1 ram. So it seemed that ram problems can cause the monitor to not recieve a signal or something?

Keep all of that in mind for my current problem.

So months after all of that happened I decided it was time to upgrade my ram properly, from 1gb to 2gb. So I bought 2 x 1gb sticks off the internet. When they arrived, I took out my old ram and installed the new sticks. I started the computer up and I could smell smoke. When I looked I realised that one of the sticks hadn't been clipped into the motherboard properly. So me being an impatient idiot had caused the motherboard to start smoking. I quickly turned the computer off and gave it some time, then I put my old 1 gb of ram back in. Once I started it up again, The monitor remained off, just like before. And this was with my old ram that used to work! So I assumed that the new ram I had purchased and the motherboard must have been burnt out by me and my imcompetence.

So time went on and I decided to by a new motherboard and ram hoping this would solve my problems. My Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard is a few years old now, and not in production anymore. So I purchased a second hand, refurbished one off ebay (If I bought a completely new motherboard I would have had to buy a new processor and everything). I also bought new 2gb ram DDR1.

When the items arrived, I put the new motherboard and ram in, and all the other components. And when I turned it on it did the same thing again! No signal to my screen, but the computer sounds perfect! Feeling very annoyed, I tried a number of things, but no success.

I've tried 2 other graphics cards, a different processor, a different monitor and a different hard drive. With no luck.

So i'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what this problem could be. Any suggestions or help would be great!

Thanks a lot guys, muchly appreciated! :)

Xhai.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Xhai...

Buying used parts is always an "iffy" proposition.

Try a table-top build. Take everything out of the case and assemble just what you need to start the machine on a table. You should only need the motherboard (and processor), 1 ram module, video card, power supply, hard drive, and monitor. See if it will start at least as far as the BIOS screen in this configuration.

If it does, make sure all the motherboard standoffs are correctly placed in the case and that there are no extra ones that may be shorting the motherboard to the chassis...then install the same components into the case and see if it will still start at least as far as it did on the table-top.

If you have no luck getting to the BIOS screen while in the table-top configuration, the motherboard or processor (or both) are likely bad. After the earlier "smoke test", there's a chance the power supply may be damaged, too.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
wannabe1 has a good point if I were you I would reassemble my computer on a table but be careful for static. So if it runs that means your motherboard shortened which means you need standoffs just like every other motherboard. Posted Image

Also make sure you bought the right ram speed as in PC-6400 800MHZ or whatever your motherboard requires. Or you might want to check your RAM timings. Also to let you know 2.0 volts isn't the speed that you RAM is supposed to be running. It could be more or less. To determine the volts to set I would try from 1.5,1.75 and so on until you think your system is stable. Another problem that could of occurred is your Power Supply couldn't give any more power maybe it was on it's edge. Please post up your system specs.

Edited by frankthetank, 11 February 2008 - 09:40 PM.