Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

smps

• Please log in to reply

e.suresh

e.suresh

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi to all
well i am facing the problem that my smps was dead
the old system had at power supply so i see their is only two wires for the on off switch
i had bought new smps but it is for pentium4 an

here i give details
motherboard is intel 810 chipset atx and supports atx and at

celeron 744 mhz

i want to know what should i connect to the switch which os on /off

please help me

awaiting best replies

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

I'm a little confused - are you trying to connect an ATX psu to the (ATX) Intel board?

If so, then you have 2 wires that run from the on/off switch on the front of the computer case, right? These connect to the front panel header on the motherboard, but without knowing exactly which board you have, I can't tell you which two pins to connect it two.

However, the 2 pins you need are often marked (eg, PWR, PW-SW, or similar). If you find the correct pair of pins, then it won't matter which way round the conenctor is installed as there's no polarity.

Failing that, let me know exactly which motherboard you have, and hopefully i'll be able to tell you where to locate the pins.

e.suresh

e.suresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks for the welcoming to me
apparently by a member to many forums cant find the solution or not even replying

Welcome to G2G

I'm a little confused - are you trying to connect an ATX psu to the (ATX) Intel board?

yes but the old smps was an AT 230 w which is not available in market so i have to buy ATX

If so, then you have 2 wires that run from the on/off switch on the front of the computer case, right?

yeah i need this location

These connect to the front panel header on the motherboard, but without knowing exactly which board you have, I can't tell you which two pins to connect it two.

However, the 2 pins you need are often marked (eg, PWR, PW-SW, or similar). If you find the correct pair of pins, then it won't matter which way round the conenctor is installed as there's no polarity.

Failing that, let me know exactly which motherboard you have, and hopefully i'll be able to tell you where to locate the pins.

anyway here is an image of my motherboard but i will also look in manual book

http://www.indianpur...1/article21.htm

see at intel 810 microtek

thanks for your reply

regards
suresh

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the picture in the link is small small to see any real detail and I can't seem to find a manual for it anywhere - even Microteks website doesn't seem to have it!

If you manage to find the manual then let me know. Otherwise, can you find the front panel header on your board? This will be 2 rows of pins in the bottom right corner of the board (as a point of reference, the PCI slots are in the bottom left quarter of the board). There will probably already be some wires connected to the front panel header (eg the power LED, reset switch, hard drive LED). Once you locate the header, you should notice some markings next to the pins on the board. Let me know what these markings are.

e.suresh

e.suresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks for the information and i got that on/off swicth wires but here goes one more problem
pc was started but while after loading windows it shutdown automatically stops by displaying himem or something like that in dos mode

is their any problem with this smps
I bought the smps was made from enterworld.com and supports to p4 atx1.3

Edited by e.suresh, 10 February 2008 - 06:14 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm, doesn't sound good but not necessarily the power supply. What version of Windows are you using? I assume it's win98 but correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm a little unclear about how far though the boot process it gets before shutting down but have you tried getting it to boot up in safe mode?

e.suresh

e.suresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
again thanks for your help
yes i was using windows 98 and i dont know what did whether i started in safe mode or normal but i believe it is normal mode

after seeing your post i had started in safe mode and then restarted in normal mode and it is working

can u tell me whether it supports to pentium 3 processor i want to upgrade but i couldt find in manual book about this

thanks again

regards
suesh

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Re. pentium 3 - it's very hard to say for certain.
If you look at the link you gave me to the motherboard (indianpurchase.com), it actuallys states in the description that the board supports:

Celeron up to 667MHz
Pentium II 230MHz to 450MHz
Pentium II 450MHz to 800MHz.

Now, I can only assume that the last one (PII 450-800MHz) is a typo and should read P3 450MHz-800MHz. The reason I'm sure of this is because Intel never made a Pentium 2 faster than 450MHz, but Pentium 3's ranged from 450MHz upwards.
HOWEVER....also take into account that the board only supports an FSB of 66MHz & 100MHz. Based on all this, and bearing in mind that your board has both a slot 1 & a 370 cpu socket, I would hazard a guess that the board DOES support pentium 3's but possibly only in the Slot 1 format. The reason I say this, is that most (although not all) slot 1 pentium 3's used an FSB of 100MHz. As for socket 370 pentium 3's, most (although not all) used an FSB of 133MHz. Of course, I could be completely wrong....

I can't promise that your board supports any pentium 3 cpu's at all, but I can tell you that if it does, it will support the ones that use an FSB (base frequency) of 100MHz.

Basically if you want to know if a pentium 3 runs at 100MHz or 133MHz FSB, then just look at the model number. If it has 'B' or 'EB' after if, then it uses 133MHz (eg a pentium 3 800MHz may have the model number 800EB if it uses 133MHz FSB).

If you already have a pentium 3 processor, then just go ahead and try it. But unless you can get oen very cheaply, then it's probably not worth the gamble buying one.

Edited by Samm, 11 February 2008 - 04:57 PM.

e.suresh

e.suresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yesterday i just started pc and their was short sound but from where i cant find also their is some smelling comming so i imediately switched off and removed cd drive and floppy drive but still the short sound comes like it shorted plus and minus and the pc runs
this short is comming when booting starts but i couldnt find where it is comming

i have learnt so far some from you and i came to know that it is not fsb

let solve the problem above ill write full details about that board from manual book

thanks all your feed backs

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Does it make that sound every time you power the system on? Is everything working ok despite the noise?
Was the smell a burning smell? Does it still smell like that now?

Advertisements

e.suresh

e.suresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yeah it makes when i power on but it makes only once and the system runs.
and the system was freezing as it happened while i had the previous smps also

yes the smell was like burning and i immeditaley switched off i started only three times first day i runeed more than 2 hours and the system was too busy as it happened from last one month

the third i immeditely powered off and removed smps

i checked the manual book and smps voltages and they were equal

but i am not getting why the shorted sound was comming ?

i am trying to find out why it was comming actually it somehwere went problem

i am thinking to check without harddrive this time and removing leds etce
the sound is just like a small cracker blasted

let me know what to do now

i am thinking to test smps then motherboard
but i definetly believe somewhere the wires are touching

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok. Please follow these instructions exactly. If you have any questions, just ask.

1) Please completely disconnect the power supply and remove it from the computer.

2) Next you need to find a paperclip (bare metal one, not plastic coated) OR a piece of wire that's similar thickness to a paperclip and about 2-3 inches long.
See photo of paperclip below, just in case of any language barrier problems...

paperclip.jpg

3) Straighten the paperclip out, then bend it to form a tight 'U' shape.

4) Next, connect the external power cable to the back of the power supply & make sure it is turned on at the switch.

5) Take the main ATX power plug (see image below) & locate the green wire. This should be at position 14 in the image.

atx20m.gif

6) Insert one end of the paperclip into the position 14 (green wire) and the other end of the paperclip into one of the neighbouring black wires (eg position 13 or 15).
This should make the power supply start up. Leave it running for a minute and let me know if you still hear the 'shorting' noise and also whether you can still smell burning.

You can power the PSU off by unplugging the external power lead, then remove the paperclip.

e.suresh

e.suresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi samm

thanks for the helpful hints but i had checked this before while attaching to the pc and now again just did and seen it works fine and no nice

their is no sound or smell and running smooth

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, well that rules out the power supply being the problem then.

Have you checked the motherboard? Have look to make sure that nothing has gotten in the gap between the underside of the board and the case. Also make sure that there are no metal spacers (stand-offs) on the case that are not directly lined up with a screw hole on the motherboard.

Also, make sure that there's nothing touching the top of the board that shouldn't be there.

e.suresh

e.suresh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hai
I have connected to motherboard and tested and then hard drive and dvd rom drive like i did all and it works fine
but when i seen those hooks from smps they were actually visible to outside and if they touch anywhere it makes short
i have never thought they would be like this

the pc was running as usual but it freezes some times due to some sites

regarding to processor here what i read from manual book is
intel 810E chipset supports FC-PGA coppermine celeron CPU at 66mhz 100 MHZ or 133 MHZ Front side bus

Intel 810 chipset supports FC-PGA coppermine celeron CPU at 66mhz 100 MHZ Front side bus

VGA function integrated in i810E/i810 chipset with 1mb memory

but mine is intel 810 plus as i see on the mobo i coudnt verify if it is 810E or not

but i am thinking it is 810 E as their were only two options