Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer keeps freezing - hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hey!

WAHOOO!

IT'S FIXED! JOY!

Basically, I called up PC Performance who told me loads of stuff I already knew, I told them all the scans I'd done. They got me to run a Hard Disk scanning program, which returned no problems, so I called back and they said backup EVERYTHING and do a total system restore, format hard drive, start again from scratch...

So I did. And hey presto!

It works. I guess something in Windows got corrupted. That's my unknowledgeful guess. Well at least I think it works, or at least it hasn't crashed once in 3 days, even after being left on overnight etc... :)

YAY! :)

You guys are the best! :) Thanks SOOO! much for your help, I know we didn't specifically find the problem in the end (I guess it was software related, a corrupted operating system perhaps?), but I'm gonna thank you for giving up so much free time and effort to help me, just some teenager with a computer issue, but you guys were there to help, it's so good that people like you are here, blah blah blah, let's have a toast...

Truth is I'd donate but, in case you hadn't already guessed by my mentioning of GCSE courswork that I'm kind of below typical credit-card age - so I hope my gift of eternal glory will suffice! :) :)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 69,964 posts
Thanks for letting me know. I must admit I saw no indication of a system file corruption.. So I will now re-read the entire thread to see if there were any clues :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 69,964 posts
Nope no clues that I could see as to software errors within the OS - curious :)

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hmmmm... Well it's fixed now, which is good. Are there any places in Windoze that we might not have been able to see that were corrupted perhaps? Or could it have been a driver or something?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 69,964 posts
With the way it was crashing I would suspect a driver. Although none appeared to have been changed as the dates were kosher, probably a corruption if you had a hard power down maybe :)