Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Cable Modem Gets me Low ID's

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Feb 9, 2008

Hi GTG Techs;

My Comcast cable modem broke.

So I drove across town (20 mile round trip) to Comcast and replaced the broken Motorola SB5101 modem for their new one, an Ambit U10C018 :) , cheap-o, made in China.

A new problem now looms. This new modem is getting me low ID ratings for games and file sharing. I went to the Ambit site to try to configure it so it wouldn't 'block traffic'. I had this problem once before when I had a Vonage telephone cable modem in between things. A trip to Motorola's site fixed things. But I can't get into the Ambit site without a passord. Also, I don't remember exactly what you do once inside their house, anyway.

So could anyone help me set up this cable hi-speed modem so I get High ID ratings once again, like with the older but better quality Motorola model.

It's an AMBIT U10C018. My hi-speed account churns about 100 kb/s.

Thanks,

-scottportraits

Advertisements

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Feb 10, 2008

Here I am replying to my own post !

After tinkering around with this problem, assuming it must be the new cable modem's fault, I stumbled upon some disabled services in the computer management screen. I right clicked My Computer, went to Manage, then Services and Applications. Scrolled down to "Network DDE" and "Network DDE DSDM" which were disabled. Enabled and started them both. Now I am getting High ID's again !!

Hope this is helpful to any readers researching this problem.

I'm still wary of this new cheap modem Comcast is renting me for an extra $5. a month. I am scoping out similar Motorola modems on EBay, so when I buy one I'll save $60. a year !

One last word of advice to P2P file sharers: if you try to get free stuff you will surely get bitten by malware. The worst trojans and viruses are in apps, cracks, and new movies & songs. Old movies and old songs, older than 26 years, are public domain. And you can often get free trial apps from the developer's sites - this is the safest bet. But I warn you, if you do not cease and desist from trying to get new movies or free apps, then you will surely get attacked by malware. It's just not worth it, and as I said above, nothing in this world is really free. There's no such thing.

Consider this, and weigh the perils against the booty....in the end you'll pay one way or the other.

Thanks GTG gang,

-scottportraits

Edited by scottportraits, 10 February 2008 - 02:39 PM.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Feb 10, 2008

-scottportraits

nothing in this world is really free. There's no such thing.

Edited by scottportraits, 10 February 2008 - 02:43 PM.