Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe Woes - File Screens Crash

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Feb 9, 2008 1pm est

This is a common problem I think I've seen here at the GTG forum before. I put it under XP as an OS problem, rather than at 'Software/Apps'.

After starting over from a 'destructive' system restore and building my OS back up as scrupulously as possible, there is an explorer.exe, error Oxc0000005, & Dr Watson post-mortem debugger complaint.

I have lots of digital JPEG's. Files and folders full of 'em. When I launch Windows Explorer, or try to open any folder directly or indirectly, the thumbnails open in an erratic, confused, messy way. Then a memory error box pops up closing down that screen. Memory error # Oxc000005 - and I have the advanced settings configged to operate for 'Best Performance', with paging files custom set to twice my RAM number. One or two times after an explorer file screen shut-down, besides the above error box, another box popped from Dr Watson. The details were very sketchy.

I notice that the PC is very slow, even after a thorough defrag with JKDefrag'er. All the apps were reinstalled 'clean', so I don't know how else to tune-up the system. I'm thinking about installing one of those registry cleaner apps like PC Doctor, Registry Mechanic, Windows Optimizer, etc. Do you think it wise? Do you have a favorite one to recommend ?

I ran Norton System Works 2003's 'One Button Check' and fixed the errors it had. I also ran their WinDoctor, and fixed those errors it found. But I keep having trouble viewing thumbnails from files in the Windows Explorer screen. And the PC is running very slow.

Any help to get my rig up to par ??

-scottportraits

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok".
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Feb 9, 2008

Yes, I ran that command and it improved things by about 70% right away.

After a second round of hitting that run command and rebooting, I decided to move all my videos (largely .avi's) from the C:\ drive to the D:\ drive. Followed that by installing Norton SystemWorks 2003 and ran 'One Button Check-up', correcting over 100 registry errors and a few program errors. Also ran WinDoctor which had 18 errors, all about putting my msvcr80.dll file from it's hiding place in a few Windows/sys32 files (for Acrobat or .NET service). They are all cleaned out now. Finally, ran JKDefragger again and smoothed out the hard drives.

No more error windows with Oxc0000005 memory strain. At least so far. But there is still about 25-30% lag when explorer loads all the .jpgs....and many still come out goofy. By goofy I mean they are tiny postage stamps inside the outer tile, with alot of white border.....like square do-nuts. The tiny stamp images seem to be in 8-bit color, very posterized. Some come up slowly to normal, while others stay tiny stamps. A random few tiles just have the old folder icon in it, (6 little boxes in a file). Also, the scrolling sticks, and is choppy and slow.

A quick-fix around this I have been 'cheating' with, is to switch from 'thumbnail' view to 'list' view, then back again to 'thumbnail' view. After that, the screen is filled with even, full-sized thumbnails in 32-bit color.....and the scrolling is smooth. A few more steps, extra work, improvising, but it gets it to work right....

So we're almost there, as I say, the above technique cleared the problem about 70-75%.

This is good news. We can all use more good news, these days.

Much appreciated,

-scottportraits

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Feb 18, 2008

Hello,
I did a major virus/trojan housecleaning, and now the thumbnails load properly in explorer.exe fashion. No prob, any more, here anyway. Pics load fine now. So this topic is now closed.

Only other trouble that has lasted is bad e-mails reading somewhat like the HTML source code.....the link to that inquiry is here

http://www.geekstogo...de-t187650.html

I uninstalled my e-mail server Mozilla Thunderbird, and reinstalled it, but the settings (damage from trojans) still are the same; hence, I am needing some kind of settings fix for an e-mail box full of damaged stuff.

The trojan came in through a bad e-mail I mistakenly opened.

Thanks folks,

-scottportraits