Thank you for this information.
I"m having a similar problem, though caused by downloading "Graboid" video watching software, not the tax program. I noticed when it was downloading, that it did update my Microsoft .NET Framework to 2.0. So the cause is the same.
Currently I'm following the advice given in Post #3, to
1. Download and run the Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) - I believe I already have this SP installed but am re-doing it. I note that this apparently doesn't fix the issue, but am doing it anyway.
2. Install the first service pack (SP1) for Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager. I'll do this next.
Will get back to you with my results.
I have a few questions:
1. Why do I need/use Business Contact Manager in Outlook? I don't think I use this. Could I simply disable that portion of Outlook, since that is the part that is failing?
2. I got in a loop with the BCM failure in Outlook and couldn't get out of it while leaving Outlook open - so if indeed I could disable BCM, I wouldn't be able to. Shouldn't there be a way to stop the error messaging so I can control Outlook? Currently it is dead to me - cannot get in to it at all to change settings, etc. This is troubling.
3.Shouldn't Microsoft know about these issues and do something? Both programs are Microsoft. But when I searched Microsoft.com support area for the Error message: "Business Contact Manager had encountered a problem and needs to close", I got no direct hits. Strange, isn't it?
1. Note: the links given in Post #3 above don't actually go to the right place. Instead, copy the text written next to the links into the Microsoft Support search box, to find the right pages.
2. I also did (previously) a repair on my Microsoft Office application. Did not help.
1. After running the second SP, I can get into Outlook again. What a relief!!!!
2. Now I'm having errors in Send/Receive. I replaced my email address with xxxx below.
Task 'firstname.lastname@example.org - Receiving' reported error (0x80040900) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'
So... I think the SP update somehow made my email server name get lost. I'll start troubleshooting that now. Sigh.
Edited by ferretkiss, 09 October 2008 - 01:27 PM.