Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad service at PC World

• Please log in to reply

decockney

decockney

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was brought a laptop for xmas last year(ADVENT 7111). It has been back to The tech guys 5 times, on its return the number keys do not work, so i cant even log onto the comp. On phoning the pc perfrormance hot line(again) they stated that the lap top will be recommended as a right off. I asked about all the stuff i have stored in the laptop and they said that i would have to go to PC world and pay £29.95 to have the info retreived i was informed that i should have backed up my lap top every month, i have not had the thing back long enough to back it up before it breaks down again. They haved mentioned that if the lap top is a right off they will credit me its current value. I asked how much that was, The answer was they had no idea.

So the deal is should i let them pick up the lap top and then let them state the current value, and should i pay for they retrieval service, when clearly they have sent it back with it not being put back together correctly(1,2,3,4,7,8,9,0.keys not working) also every external socket on the left hand side are on an angle. Also i sent a long list with all the faults(as recommended by the hot line advisor) NOT WORKING/ DVD player/Blue tooth/bad over heating problem/3 x coloured dots on the screen.

The thing has some major issues since day dot, There has never been a clear report back from the repairs, the insurance is a sham.

Any advice or recommendation as where to get advice from, and also should i hand the ADVENT 7111 back to PC World,and let them call the shots. Or should i get the thing checked out by an independant?

Any help would be wonderful
Thanks Decockney :)

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
they have sent it back with it not being put back together correctly(1,2,3,4,7,8,9,0.keys not working) also every external socket on the left hand side are on an angle. Also i sent a long list with all the faults(as recommended by the hot line advisor) NOT WORKING/ DVD player/Blue tooth/bad over heating problem/3 x coloured dots on the screen.

The faults in bold are classified as inherent faults - it is up to them to either fix, replace or refund the FULL VALUE PAID for the laptop. You should not accept a refund of anything lower than the price as paid when brand new - as many of these faults have evidently been caused by The Tech Guys. You do not have to prove this, it is up to them to prove they did not do it. Catch my drift? :)

Edit: I must also say, in my experience and in many others I know - PC World don't like the long hand of the law. They'll do everything they can to bend the rules until you call the shots - "If I leave without a full refund, you'll be leaving your job too - I'm off to see my lawyer now, see ya" - always works.

Edited by Spider-Man, 09 February 2008 - 05:50 PM.

decockney

decockney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:) Thanks spider man, All i have done is battle the thing, do you reckon i should let them have it back again or should i take it to a store and start finger tapping the counter?. The repair reports are basic, just a carbon sheet with hand written tags like Mother board, Memory, Over heating. On the last pick up i placed an a4 sheet out lining all the problems, Nothing came back no check list just stated over heating. yet the same thing happened as the very first time it went wrong and on that repair sheet it stated. MOTHERBOARD.

And thanks for your time on this, its nice to know that i am not going MMMMAAAADDD

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

or should i take it to a store and start finger tapping the counter?

I would go for this one, of course the finger tapping is just the start :)

Don't put up with it. Also, if you have your computer with you now, you can run a backup now if you like. All you need to do is copy the files (pictures, documents etc...) on there that you really want to keep. Burn them to a CD/DVD, copy to a USB stick or backup drive... As long as you have an extra copy of them, that's called a backup. When you get a good computer, just copy them back into place where you want them.

Troy.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first...remove the hard drive and slave it to a working system to back up your data...then send the laptop back to them and inform them to fix it so that EVERYTHING works properly...replace it with a new laptop...or refund your money...

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
To be honest if they're still messing you around, just take it back, demand a refund for the amount paid, or threaten legal action. PC World are typical for dodging the scolding water so will give you a refund once you start making demands and threatening legal action. A good one to use to the manager:

"No, I'm not threatening legal action, I'm promising it!"

What was once a brand new laptop last December will no longer be the top model, you'll get a much better laptop for the same price nowadays, as the cost of laptops has fallen considerably in the last year or so. To think I paid over £1000 for a Pentium 4 laptop not so long ago... :) Although, back then, it was a beast:p

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
None of what the original poster describes is new where PC World UK is concerned.
Easiest solution, take it back and either exchange it or get your money back. If what you say is true and the laptop has always been faulty, then its not fit for purpose and you are entitled to a replacement or a refund never mind what they tell you, this is enshrined in UK Law.
Failing that, go to the Citizen's Advice Bureaux (which is free of charge) and then you'll probably find you can take PC World UK to the small claims court and possibly Trading Standards.
The next course of action is not to use PC World UK again for anything. The company has woeful technical support, they make more money off extended warranties and flogging systems than they do repairing existing ones and if it were not illegal to keep you hanging on premium rate telephone numbers, they would probably do so.

decockney

decockney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi people, Lap tops back. never got it backed up as they wanted £30 for the service. The start up states that the copy of windows needs to be activated for me to log on. Plug in modem, Start auto activation, nothing. Start phone contact. wrong product key. Phone PC performance, give me a number, change product key, press change product key enter product key of micro soft label on lap top, state only numerical figures to be entered.Phone PC performance and they say i gotta go on line and get it activated with micro soft and that they have not wiped my laptop it could be a general fault with windows vista. I explained that i have xp and was then made to feel at ease as the phone help seemed shocked. Me i am about to commit murder,I never had the chance to back up my stuff as i could not get in as number keys not working. I phoned PC performance and they said "its with the engineer" No nothing. City link posted left at no 15 cheers and that was that. Who should i shoot 1st. And will the national health take full responsability for my"i was completly abused at the hands of PC world" intense therapy sessions

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Who should i shoot 1st.

You misspelled Sue. Hire an attorney and sue for bad faith.
A phone call from a law office will get results, and should not cost too much.
Make them give back the 30 pounds as well.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You should also sue for lost productivity. You can get a sum for the documents they lost due to their incompetence.

Remember, this is a friendly place, were here to help. Lets be sure to keep the killing talk to a minimum (non-existent).

decockney

decockney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello. I am writing this message from my Advent 7111, I managed to get into it with help from a friend and on line help. It seems that all that was wrong(God knows how) the date and time were wrong. It was reset to 4th March 2004. All info is till stored on hard drive and all my unsaved invoices are as i had left them. So i have backed up the info and transferred all my info to my desk top. It looks if they have replaced the key board and it is now very spongy. Thanks for all your replies and interest and i will post a new topic when it crashes again, which i feel it will. Decockney