Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word File is corrupted!

• Please log in to reply

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I hope you guys can help me out with this issue:

At my job, I have Office 2003 on all of the PCs. On one of them, Word constantly crashes, so we had to use WordPad to edit our .docs. When I edited one called "Sean's DB Part 1," I saved it like I normally do using WordPad. Next thing, my co-worker showed me that the file was corrupted. This is a problem because there is very important information in that document. When I open it, I see nothing but 43 pages of squares where the text should be. Is it possible to repair this and if so, how? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I tried triggering the same issue on another PC with a throw away .doc, but no dice. The PC in question is a Dell Optiplex - Penitum 3 - Windows XP Pro

Edited by Ghaleonh41, 09 February 2008 - 04:57 PM.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
What is the extension behind the file name?

The extension will tell us what it is saved as.

Example: "filename.doc

.doc is the extension behind the name of the file.

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I missed that part. "Sean's DB Part 1.doc."

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I am not sure what is going on there.

But you could try changing the .doc to .rtf

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
make a copy of the file and play around with its extension, this way your not doing more damage than already done to your original file. There are a number of programs made to restore corrupt documents, however I have no idea how effective they are nor if they are worth the money (since after a quick google search I found nothing but commercial products), but thats at least another option. Also most of the programs I found come from websites flagged as RED by siteadvisor so be cautious.

EDIT: after looking through the google results, I would almost recommend NOT to try one of these programs, it seems that 98% of the websites that offer them are marked RED by Siteadvisor for either distributing Malware or through Phishing, bad service etcetera. Sorry :)

Edited by Suerte, 10 February 2008 - 03:40 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I had a problem similar to that when the file was open and nothing but little squares were seen. It seems that somehow the file was saved in ascii by some way and it wouldn't open as a regular document type.

Just a thought.

Ron

Ghaleonh41

Ghaleonh41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
There's not much I can say or do at the moment. I took the doc and put it on my USB to check it out, but nothing's showing up. So I'll check it out when I go to work tomorrow. Any other suggestions, gentlemen?