Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

kernel data inpage error

• Please log in to reply

wsx123

wsx123

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have windows xp sp2 up to date. Every time i start the windows disk defrag I get this error message on a blue screen.
The first time it happened I restarted and all was ok. Now it happened a 2nd time while running disk defrag.
Other than that all is well in windows world.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi wsx123, welcome to G2G.

Try running chkdsk, see if it finds any problems.

Click on Start then Run. Type <font color=red>chkdsk /r</font> and press Enter.

Reply Y when asked if you want this to happen on the next boot, then reboot.

wsx123

wsx123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I did that with no problems. I thought it was my free comodo firewall that recently upgraded in version # so I deleted that and now my windows defrag hangs up at 84% completion but no blue screen with error messages.
I downloaded and tried out the free Auslogics disk defrag and it worked fine.
I have my internet connection through a Belkin Wireless G router, do I need a software firewall?
I can turn on the windows firewall but would rather have a better free software firewall.
Any recommendations-Comodo free worked well before the last update.

Edited by wsx123, 10 February 2008 - 08:01 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm still using Comodo though I have not updated recently, still at the 3.0.13.268 level. I'll update to the latest and see if I have any problems. None have been reported here though.

The built in XP Firewall is better than no firewall till you find one to replace Comodo.

Edit: Just updated to Comodo v3.0.16.295 and so far no problems. The write up on the Comodo web site indicates that this is a more aggressive version.

Edited by Ztruker, 10 February 2008 - 08:36 PM.

wsx123

wsx123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Found out my hard drive was failing thanks.