Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

diablo 2 install won't even start on vista

• Please log in to reply

godoflife

godoflife

• Pip
  • 9 posts
:) ok, so i put the disk into the drive, and it brings up the security thing and i click allow, wait a few seconds and NOTHING happens. . . i try going into computer and doubleclicking it from there, it brings up the security thing and then nothing. can anyone help? :) its driving me nuts

Advertisements

godoflife

godoflife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
:) isnt there anyone out there who actually knows how to fix this? :)

godoflife

godoflife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
isnt there anyone out there?? :) i feel like destroying my laptop, its driving me insane!! :) :)

godoflife

godoflife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
:) :) :) :) maybe i can drink my probs away while i wait for someone to post here to help me :) :) :) sorry i just havin fun with the emotes, and ive never seen these kinds, more animation than most

Edited by godoflife, 09 February 2008 - 10:13 PM.

godoflife

godoflife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
still no reply??? why wont anyone help?

tanda

tanda

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,
There are several reasons why you don't get an answer on a forum, the first one being,
1/ The person reading the question doesn't know the answer.
2/ The person who knows the answer, hasn't read your question, yet.
3/ The person who has read your question, and knows the answer, but can't be bothered to answer, because he thinks you are too "Pushie", too inpatient, can't wait for a reply.

Personaly I am number one, "I don't know why", I can sugest you right click on the shortcut and "Run as Administrator, or right click on shortcut, PROPERTIES/COMPATABILITY, and choose Windows XP, or whatever. Failing that, will the game run on Vista, does it say it will on the box, have you e-mailed their suport for help, you know what Vista is like, a lot of software isn't compatable with Vista yet, other than that, sorry, can't help.

godoflife

godoflife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well at least u talked, , , thank ya for that. i just dont get it, ill try run as admin. that might work, please do!

godoflife

godoflife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i guess even the moderators dont know how to fix this? i really wanted to play this game again . . . but the install wizard wont even start up

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

According to this page, the game will not run on Vista. You could try setting it on compatibility mode for Windows 2000, but if that doesn't work then you'll need to go find a really old computer and load Windows 2000 on it to work.

Cheers

Troy

godoflife

godoflife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
its INSTALLING!!!! :) :) THANK U ALL SO MUCH, i mean i didnt try the compatibility for 2000, but u talked, and it kept me looking, changed the pixils a lil and changed compatibility to SOMETHING, i dont dare look now, because it might mess up install, anyway :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Now the trick is to see if you can actually play the game once it's installed... You might need to go and find the actual game application file and change the compatibility for it also.

Troy.

tay0909

tay0909

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Diablo 2 wont work????. I put the disk in and nothing pops up... i go to my computer click the disk drive the dirve opens??. How did you get it working to pop up and install

godoflife

godoflife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i went into the setup and install documents inside the main disk icon, and changed to i think it was 256 colors, and i made it compatible with XP, i think lemme check

well hmm, it was somethin like that, and i clicked run as admin. . . idk what to do past there if it doesnt work

KrisGreiz

KrisGreiz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been playing D2 with my friend, and her laptop (new with Vista) has been being a piece. The disc spun, the mouse became the disc-read icon, and nothing happened. I was furious, and started clicking this and changing that, running it again and again and again. Finally, after closing [bleep] out of her task manager, I found the culprit. Once I stopped "Desktop Window Manager", everything worked fine. Until it booted back up again a minute later.

I checked around and found a way to stop this once and for all.

Under search, type in 'services.msc' and hit enter. It'll probably prompt you and need your permission to continue, as Vista so often does. When you get into the services menu, scroll down until you find "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager". Right click on this, go to properties, and change startup type to disable.

If you're looking for a reason to disable it, there's a very helpful account on exactly how awful it is for your computer here:
http://www.petri.co....ance_issues.htm

Even if this doesn't explain why your Diablo 2 won't run, it'll definitely help your system until we all decide we'd be better off reinstalling XP.

alestor666

alestor666

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
every body seems to have different problems with d2 i got mine to install on first try no problem but when ran it really didn't show anything at all but i knew where the buttons where and just ran a patch update now i dont have to do a single thing to run it besides click the exe maybe if you have any problems you can see if there's a place that downloads the patches for the game standalone maybe some where in a blizzard run site/forum I've gotten into the habbit of just right clicking all games and clicking run as admin now because of some of the many problems out there