Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mobo issue I cannot figure out...

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I've been trying all day today to figure out a problem I've been having, but I can't quite figure it out.

Here's the situation:

I was running Vista 32-bit with 4GB of RAM installed (2GB first, then added 2GB later). Today I decided to install 64-bit Vista to utilize it all. So, the installation goes smoothly for the first part, but upon reboot I get a BSOD. A bit of research shows that Vista sometimes (or always?) BSODs if you try to install with more than 3GB of RAM installed. So, I removed 2GB of RAM and Vista installed fine. Once it was done installing, I put back in the other 2GB of RAM. On boot-up, I get one long beep from my motherboard (normal is one short beep) and no video display. However, as I have the 680i, the LED post code shows that everything is working fine. It sounds like it is booting up (lots of HD activity), but I have no display. So, I remove the 2GB of RAM again, but I still get the long beep and no video display. I remove one more stick, so now I only have 1 stick in the mobo. Then sometimes it will boot fine, other times I still have the problem. I double checked all connections, but I really don't think that's the issue as sometimes it boots fine with 1 stick of RAM, sometimes not. I've tried upping the voltage of the RAM, but that doesn't help. What is going on here?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Wouldn't luck have it that as soon as I posted this, I managed to fix it. (Knock on wood.)

I'm still not sure what caused it, because it was working like this before, but I fixed it by unplugging a fan molex connector from a molex that led into my mobo. What I mean is, before it was M>FM>MB (molex>fan molex>mobo), now it is simply M>MB (molex>mobo). I guess the fan was stealing a bit of voltage the mobo needed? Strange, since it had always worked before. Perhaps the molex just wasn't properly connected to the mobo, and in the process I fixed it.