Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Have Problems

• Please log in to reply

LIL_LADY_62

LIL_LADY_62

• Pip
  • 7 posts
When I try to use the help book I cant type in what I want, but when I click on the trouble shooter for direct x or memory......or any trouble shooter the only thing that comes up is a white page.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi LIL_LADY_62
Welcome to geekstogo
Do you get any error messages when it dose this?
<_<

LIL_LADY_62

LIL_LADY_62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No error messages when that happens just a blank page in the help book on the right hand side. I keep getting error messages for internet explorer thought have taken it out and reinstalled it, still haveing problems with it. Thanks for the help.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Help uses Internet Explorer to display it's pages. Either these help files aren't installed, or somethings preventing them from being displayed. I suspect the later.

Check out the Spyware Tools link in my signature. I recommend running both Spybot S&D and Adaware to remove any Spyware from your system.

LIL_LADY_62

LIL_LADY_62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OH boy this is so bad, I really appericate the help you are giving me, Now I'm having trouble with my color display when I try to adjust it I only have 2, and 16 colors. I am open to any suggestions..........thanks Marilyn

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
the reason you only have the two colors is that some how your video driver got messed up you will need to reinstall your video driver If you gave the info. on your pc make and model we can find one for you to down load or if you know what your video card is.
<_<

LIL_LADY_62

LIL_LADY_62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the help it worked, I restored my computer again and I'm not having any problems now. All of my problems started when I started using DSL. Is there any way to keep it running smooth so I don't run into problems like that again? I run the maitence wizzard on a regular basis and it couldn't find anything wrong with it either. I had sownloaded the Systems Mechanic and it wasn't able to defrag when I was expericing these problems, then it was saying I needed an unlock key. I have no clue what that is. Thanks.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Be sure you run Windows Update on a regular basis. Also, since you're on DSL, your computer always has access to the Internet, becasue of this it's a good idea to have a firewall. Click here to download ZoneAlarm, it's not the best firewall, but it's easy to setup, and it's free. Be sure you have anti-virus software, and that you keep it up-to-date. Finally, run a Spyware program every few months, click here to download Spybot Seek & Destroy. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This topic has been split. To see the new topic CLICK HERE

Edited by admin, 11 January 2004 - 01:46 PM.

LIL_LADY_62

LIL_LADY_62

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Is there any way I can clean out my memory completely and reinstall windows 98 I have the disk......as soon as I fix one thing another goes wrong with it. I had the white pages fixed now they are back, my sound is gone again,i keep having to reinstall the drivers........any help would be appriciated.......thanks

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Is there any way I can clean out my memory completely and reinstall windows 98

I really think that's a last resort. You'll lose any files you've created on your computer, your address book, favorites, settings, etc. As well, you'll have to reinstall any programs currently installed on your computer.

If you want asistance continuing to troubleshoot we'll be here to help. <_< If you have everything backed up, or just aren't very concerned about losing data and reinstalling programs, then it's not very hard to reformat and reinstall Windows.

Start with a Windows 98 Bootdisk (download this file, insert a blank floppy, and run to create a bootdisk). Reboot your computer with this floppy inserted in your drive. When finished booting type format C: at the command prompt (A:\). This will completely remove EVERYTHING from your hard drive. When finished formatting, rebooting from the floppy again, insert your Windows 98 CD, and type setup.exe at the command prompt. Just follow the prompts and you'll have a fresh install of Windows. Be sure to run Windows Update to install security patches, and reinstall your programs.