Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Dual Boot - Cant install Vista ultimate

• Please log in to reply

muaythai2

muaythai2

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ive been trying to dual Boot vista with xp . After I make a partition when I install xp midway through the install I get a get a windows has incontered errors and is closeing to prevent damage error

I tried installing a differant version of Vista [ instead of the one that came preinstalled in my Acer Pc , I thought a differant windows vista might work ? ] And it would not boot . I brought up a menu im not familiar with I think it was a Grub / root menu " line editing is supported. for the first word, TAB lists possible command completions windows " I tried booting from that menu but I could not figure out how to do it . It didnt seem to recognise the drives , I also tried to repair from the install disc .. I had to reinstall the Preinstalled version it came with using the recovery discs I made .

Would like some help with installing a differant version of vista then the one my pc came with . I dont like all the garbage that it comes preinstalled with , and all the extras on it take up a huge chunk of the hard drive

Edit
I was able to install a clean version of Vista by using Vlite to create a Boot disc . But still have been unable to install XP . I have the extra Partiton made , and the xp disc loads but before I get to the part where I have to choose where to install . It tells me " A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer . Is it possilbe that my PC is not compatible with windows XP ?

Edited by muaythai2, 10 February 2008 - 10:59 PM.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
When dual booting you should always install the older operating system 1st, then once your drivers are all installed and it is running correctly, install the next operating system.

You can install the older operating system later, its just less work to go the other route.