Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trojandownloader.xs

• Please log in to reply

SteffenLunde

SteffenLunde

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey,

I'm seeking help to remove/clean an infection on my computer. I'm pretty sure I recieved it through a Messenger conversation containing an 'evil' link.

This is the situation:
- My desktop picture has been replaced with a blue screen saying:
"Warning: Spyware threat has been detected on your PC.
Your computer has several fatal errors due to spyware activity."

- I'm recieving pop-up windows telling me about warnings.

- My firewall is disabling itself, even when I manually enable it, it only takes a few seconds before it disables automatically.

- I'm recieving notifications from Windows Security Center that my PC has been infected with "trojandownloader.xs" and it opens an IE-window with Spyware program offers.

I've been running several scans using Trend Micro, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender. They found some infected files and cleaned/deleted them, but as you can understand I'm still having problems.

I hope that someone is able to help me. I'm no computer wizard, so please explain any suggestions in 'lay-mans-terms':)

Steffen

Edited by SteffenLunde, 10 February 2008 - 06:24 AM.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and reply here with your log.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

SteffenLunde

SteffenLunde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been following the guide you linked to, but after doing my scan with AVG Anti-Spyware there is no report to be found. When it scanned the computer it found 37 infected objects. I chose "Apply all actions" as stated in the guide, but now I have no report.

What do I do?

Steffen

SteffenLunde

SteffenLunde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been trying to proceed with the next step in the guide, but I'm unable to install the program after downloading it.
At the moment, I'm only able to open my PC in safe-mode, otherwise it shuts down by itself.

When I'm trying to install the program I get a message saying that the action has been blocked by the administrator.

Please, can somebody help.

Thanks,

Steffen

SteffenLunde

SteffenLunde

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I solved the problem, so no need for any further help.

Thanks anyway.

Steffen