Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade Advice Please

• Please log in to reply

andrea22

andrea22

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi, I have an old laptop, a Toshiba Portege 4010, P3, 933 Mhz CPU, 496 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD. Is this worth upgrading or is better to simply replace the whole thing? I'm not a gamer so I don't need what's required for that kinda stuff but as is its very slow, even to my inexpert eye. It works fine, I've just had it formatted and XP Pro reinstalled so I don't think there are any hardware problems as such, just that I'd rather have better, and, it does seem to be slowing down as Im gradually installing more software.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi andrea22,

Wow you do have an old laptop! :)

It really isn't worth upgrading this machine, laptops are extremely expensive to upgrade and even then you have very limited options. Much better to save up and get something much newer.

As it is, just try leaving as little as possible on there (i.e. only install software that you absolutely have to use).

Cheers

Troy

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
I agree with troy, also because there are hardly any options to upgrade on a laptop it be better to save up and buy a decent new laptop which will last you. Some ram would speed things up for the moment and is very cheap to buy, but thats all I can really say.

andrea22

andrea22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Thanks for your advce, cheers.