Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New xp install will not download windows updates

• Please log in to reply

Nick_138

Nick_138

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Question

I just installed XP Pro on a friends PC deleted old partition and created a new one installed XP Pro and it will not do a windows update gets to a point where it says regestration 55% then it bombs out, update service keeps on dissabeling itself. NAV will act like it is downloading Live Update and but the version date never changes from 2/14/2004. Also I tryed to download the google toolbar and I get an error that says I dont have room on my hard drive when there is about 35 gig left. Does anyone have any ideas any help you can give would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Are you using a burnt XP cd to do the install??

Murray

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start with a chkdsk /r

Windows may be misreading your open space.

Next, look for windowsupdate.log in the c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Open it in notepad, scroll down and look for the last FAILURE.

Report back what it says

Nick_138

Nick_138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Not a burnt copy but not sure about the product key he had an oem copy of xp originally but that info has been lost with time I had to get a key from another friend do you think that could be it? The key is regestered to a different machine.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
doubt it, unless something has changed, MS is not prohibiting critical updates to pirated installs at the moment

did you see my first post

Nick_138

Nick_138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

start with a chkdsk /r

Windows may be misreading your open space.

Next, look for windowsupdate.log in the c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Open it in notepad, scroll down and look for the last FAILURE.

Report back what it says

View Post

Unfortunatly this happened last night and the PC is not infront of me at this time.

Nick_138

Nick_138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

doubt it, unless something has changed, MS is not prohibiting critical updates to pirated installs at the moment

did you see my first post

I will check this and post back later thank you.

Edited by Nick_138, 22 April 2005 - 11:20 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Sorry gerryf but Microsoft is NOT allowing SP2 on pirated XP installs.. What I could find..

Microsoft: SP2 Will Not Install on Pirated Copies of XP
By David Worthington, BetaNews
May 11, 2004, 4:33 AM
Contrary to the remarks it made to the ComputerTimes, Microsoft now claims that it will not permit users who have obtained Windows XP illegally to upgrade to its latest service release. Instead, the software giant will continue to enforce compliance with its licensing.

To clarify its position, a Microsoft spokesperson told BetaNews, "Press reports indicating Windows XP Service Pack 2 will install on pirated or illegal copies of Windows XP are not entirely true. Prior to installing, SP2 will check the OS' product ID (PID) against a list of known pirated PIDs. If a PID is found to be invalid, SP2 will not install."

Murray

Nick_138

Nick_138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Sorry gerryf but Microsoft is NOT allowing SP2 on pirated XP installs.. What I could find..

Microsoft: SP2 Will Not Install on Pirated Copies of XP
By David Worthington, BetaNews
May 11, 2004, 4:33 AM
Contrary to the remarks it made to the ComputerTimes, Microsoft now claims that it will not permit users who have obtained Windows XP illegally to upgrade to its latest service release. Instead, the software giant will continue to enforce compliance with its licensing.

To clarify its position, a Microsoft spokesperson told BetaNews, "Press reports indicating Windows XP Service Pack 2 will install on pirated or illegal copies of Windows XP are not entirely true.  Prior to installing, SP2 will check the OS' product ID (PID) against a list of known pirated PIDs.  If a PID is found to be invalid, SP2 will not install."

Murray

View Post

I have SP2 burned on a disk this also did not install would this be part of that same problem? It seems like once an internet connection is established after XP installation, NAV installation everything goes south. I did not install SP2 until after the connection to the internet is made.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is SP2, not critical updates. If you have sp1, there are multiple updates that do install.

Also, he is having problems beyond windows updates. I am hoping that the windowsupdate log will point to a clue

Nick_138

Nick_138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It was the key code, registered with a new key code and was able to clear everything up.

Thanks for you assistance.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thanks for clearning that up....

now, if you come back, were you trying to download sp2, or just anything....last I heard, non-sp2 updates were not being blocked.

Nick_138

Nick_138

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was just trying to install anything. I took the PC home re formatted and installed XP Pro from same disk with a new Licence Key, installed sp2 from a disc and then installed norton, configured to the internet downloaded all available win updates and ran norton live update and now I have no problems with the PC. 2 things I did differently this time 1. Used a different Lic Key I new would work because it is a Corp Lic.
2. Installed SP2 from a disk before before I connected to the internet.