Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving site to a new host with minimal impact

• Please log in to reply

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hi. I'm looking to move our site (600mb, 2000 pages, 4000+ images and other files) so a pretty big site.

How can I move the site without visitors noticing the change - because some will be sent to the new server site and some visitors sent to the old server site?

I know it has something to do with changing the domain DNS and connecting to the new host via FTP by IP address...

But, what do I change in the DNS? (Domain registered with 123-reg, DNS controlled by current site host) And how do I connect to the new server via IP - I only have the ftp address ftp.domain.com - which at the moment is obviously still pointing to the old server.

Thanks alot for your interest & Input/Output

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Log into the place that you bought your domain name and change to nameservers to the ones your new webhost gave you. Log in to your old FTP and download a clean copy of all your files on the server. Log in to your new host via FTP and upload your files. It might take up to 48 hours for DNS to resolve worldwide.
Johanna

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

My understanding of this would mean anyone sent to the new site may well be sent to the new server site either before or during the FTP upload - so that would cause loss of visitors/custom.

Is it at all possible to connect via ftp by IP address to the new server as obviously ftp.domain.com would still be going into the old server?

Thank you

jacobsdad

jacobsdad

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

My understanding of this would mean anyone sent to the new site may well be sent to the new server site either before or during the FTP upload - so that would cause loss of visitors/custom.

Is it at all possible to connect via ftp by IP address to the new server as obviously ftp.domain.com would still be going into the old server?

Thank you

Hi,

Upload a copy of your site content to your new host via ftp using your IP address.

Once the content is uploaded and you are happy that it functions correctly, you can change your domain name server addresses from the current to the new and you will be fine.

Does this make sense?

Edited by jacobsdad, 11 February 2008 - 08:35 AM.