Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some program wont load

• Please log in to reply

Brendel

Brendel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well for starter, i recently installed XP Pro SP3 v.3282 directly from a format CD. I did it using the overwrite previous OS option in order to keep my data.

Now i am unable to boot some program, most notably MSN and some games. Let say the program is installed and i attempt to execute the program, it will show the loading icon on the mouse for half a second then nothing. Nothing load, also the process is not loaded in the memory when checking the process/task manager. (All the program that cannot run has been installed after the reboot and only a select few has that problem.) Also when i uninstalled Live Messenger and then try to re-install it from a fresh downloaded copy, the installer wizard unpack. Then the wizard simply dont load, once again not even showing in the process manager.

I dont know if its some kind of SP3 feature to block some process but i would find that weird.

Any genius know the answer ?

^_^

Edited by Brendel, 10 February 2008 - 05:34 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Welcome to G2G Brendel.

First question. Where did you get a XP installation CD at the SP2 level?

Brendel

Brendel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It was a compilation. The way my computer is right now is directly how it was when i reinstalled the OS.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You created a new XP CD by slipstreaming you existing XP CD with SP3 then?

Is anything logged in the Event Viewer?

SP3 is definitely not ready for prime time so it's very possible that it is what is causing your problems.

All I can suggest is drop back to SP2 and see if the problem persists. If not then you could try installing SP3 on top of the running SP2 system. Maybe it's the slipstream process that is causing the grief.

Edited by Ztruker, 10 February 2008 - 08:35 PM.

Brendel

Brendel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
How can i downgrade to SP2. Since i dint "install" them they aint in the Add/Remove. I dont know about the event viewer. There prolly is a script preventing those program to start.

Edited by Brendel, 10 February 2008 - 09:52 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, I need to work on being more specific!

I meant, create another XP CD slipstreamed with SP2 and use that to install with. If everything runs okay, then apply SP3 and see if the problem reoccurs or not.