Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

End Program message

• Please log in to reply

dennisk

dennisk

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am running XP Pro. When I go through the proper method to turn the computer off, I get the message "END Program - DEVLDR is not responding. What does this mean? How do I correct? Thanks, Dennis

Advertisements

Student101

Student101

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
hello dennisk and welcome to geeks to go!

heres what Microsoft has to say on the issue HERE

Student101

dennisk

dennisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK! I go into device mgr - sound and video game controllers - and there are several items listed, two of which are identified as Creative SB Live! Value and the other Creative SB Live! Gameport. When I try to un-install SB Live! Value, it hangs up and I have to do a control/alt/delete to unfreeze it. According to the directions, they don't provide an alternate method to un-install. After I un-install SB Live (I'm guessing I have to un-install both the Value and gameport), I'm supposed to re-install the sound card driver from the XP CD-ROM. If that doesn't work they have a software patch website to go. But first, I have to un-install SB Live. Thanks, Dennis

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try booting to Safe Mode and uninstalling them from there.

dennisk

dennisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the response and the tip to try safe mode. I never thought of it and have rarely, if ever used safe mode for anything since I really don't understand it's function. Anyhow, I was successful in un-installing most the Creative Labs software, at least enough to get rid of the DEVLDR error msg on closing and to allow my speakers to function with MS Win Media player. When I followed the above instructions to download drivers, I was led to a website that offered a free download (there is no free lunch) with the promise of scanning my computer for driver updates and after, I guess to buy the product. Needless to say, stopped at that point and dumped everything it had attached to my computer. I also found out that the Creative Labs website no longer supports their "Sound Blaster Live" sound card and the updates I had downloaded conflicted with XP Pro. I can live with what I have without going through any further frustration. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, Dennis