Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS, 350W PSU enough?

• Please log in to reply

thajoker

thajoker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey guys,

i just have a quick question. Do you think a 350W power supply will be able to handle and support an nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS video card safely and normally? And if it is safe, will it be way too loud? What are your reccomendations: keep 350W or buy new power supply? Your opinions are much appreciated. Thanks again.

Angus

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
well. i would also like to know what other gear your packing?

try this little tool.

http://educations.ne...calc/index.html its a PSU calculator

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi thajoker,

8600GTS uses external power input, meaning that it may use more than 75watt at full load.. to simplify the matter, most of modern computer hardware uses +12v rail.

Watt (W) = Voltage (v) x Current (A)

Let say your card does use 75watt and fully utilize +12v rail. So it will need 6.25A from your power supply at load.

At your power supply, there are power-rated specification written on it

It will be +3.3v, +5v, +12v, and so on.. Take note that (in cheapo power supply) Max Output is the max current (or wattage) output for just a limited period of time (normally 30-seconds). The continous power output rate will never reach those stated at power supply (unless it is reliable power supply).

You also need to calculate the power usage of your processor, motherboard, hard-disk, optical drive, RAM, other add-in cards and so on.. :)

Edited by fenzodahl512, 11 February 2008 - 06:47 AM.

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
What do you mean external power input? Do you mean that card has a plug in on it?

...I have that exact card and I didn't notice anything of the sort >_>

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

What do you mean external power input? Do you mean that card has a plug in on it?

...I have that exact card and I didn't notice anything of the sort >_>

Hi.. do you have 8600GT or 8600GTS? Do you see the 6-pin power connector at the edge of the 8600GTS? that's what I mean.. erm.. sorry for my bad english.. not my native language :)

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Oh, I lied, I have the GT never mind :)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127319

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
you know, using my tool would have told you everything you needed to know O.o

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey thanks alot for your replies. Currently im running a Core2Duo E6600, Ati Radeon X800 (very outdated i kno which is why I am upgrading), 1G DDR2 Ram, Asus P5L-MX Motherboard, Soundblaster Audigy SB Live! 24-Bit, COMBO DVD-RW/CD-RW, 200G Hard Drive and that should be enoughh. The tool says I only need 300W but I don't know whether its 100% accurate or not. Also, to fenzodahl, at the +12V rail, it says 18.0Amperes and 216W. What does this tell me? Thanks alot

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

hey thanks alot for your replies. Currently im running a Core2Duo E6600, Ati Radeon X800 (very outdated i kno which is why I am upgrading), 1G DDR2 Ram, Asus P5L-MX Motherboard, Soundblaster Audigy SB Live! 24-Bit, COMBO DVD-RW/CD-RW, 200G Hard Drive and that should be enoughh. The tool says I only need 300W but I don't know whether its 100% accurate or not. Also, to fenzodahl, at the +12V rail, it says 18.0Amperes and 216W. What does this tell me? Thanks alot

remember, the tool is just a helper, it only takes the averages of the wattage usage of the gear and it doesnt take into account other equipment in your box, (lights,fans,etc) or OCing. . (C2D does use less energy)

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

try this little tool.

Thank you! (Helps me a lot when thinking about future parts) =D

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

try this little tool.

Thank you! (Helps me a lot when thinking about future parts) =D

please take into account my above post when using!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I guess it all comes down to the quality of the PSU. A top-notch unit would be able to get away with it, but a generic unit would most probably suffer. I would be looking at something a step up or two myself.

Something like this is an example of what you should be looking at minimum.

Troy

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey thanks again for your replies. rocknrollcows i completely understand what you are talking about and i appreciate you providing me with such an useful tool. But I have another question to ask. What do you reccommend in terms of stability and reliability: Corsair, OCZ or Antec PSU's? here some possible references:

Antec

OCZ

Corsair

I tried to keep these in the same range in terms of performance and price as much as possible. Thanks again for your comments.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have the Antec True Power Trio 650W, it's excellent.

The Corsair HX-620 is also a good choice, and I believe that OCZ make good PSUs in their GameXstream range.

Troy

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If reliability is your main concern then this can not be beat: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817703005

I own an Antec Trupower Trio and they are good quality PSUs but IMO they are not in the class as the PC Power and Cooling Silncencer, Corsair HX series, or Seasonic S12 series PSUs. I think you would be happy with any of the three you have selected though.

Also 650W is more than you are going to need. You could get by with a 450W PSU from a quality manufacturer. Get a 550W if you plan on upgrading your video card again later.

Edited by Titan8990, 12 February 2008 - 10:06 PM.