Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

little or no connectivity troubles

• Please log in to reply

seventhsymbol

seventhsymbol

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I am attempting to set up a LAN between two desktop PCs and an Xbox 360, desktop A is a compaq SR2011WM, the OS is XP SP2, and device managed says that the NIC is a "Realtek RTL8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC", Desktop B is an E-machines T1115, running windows XP (no SP2). and it has a Linksys "network everywhere" NC100U-WM, I also have a five-port linksys hub, and plently of CAT5 cables for everything....

I was also trying to share the internet connection between these three devices, but right now I'd be happy to just be able to share files between them over the LAN, but my first attempt consisted of hooking it all up to the hub, the CAT5 from the external cable modem (comcast is my ISP) into the correct port on the hub, desktop A in the first slot, B in the second, and the 360 in the third, and while I could still connect to the net with desktop A and the 360, desktop B recived the message about "little or no connectivity", so, in a effert to fix it without asking for help, I ran through the help and support center, trying several "solutions", the end result was that the "little or no connectivity" message went away, but I still had no internet connection,IE still returned "this page cannot be displayed", and the "work offline" messages, when attempting to go to google....

however, going through the help and support center, I noticed a problem on desktop B, one of the suggestions was to run IPconfig /release, and then IPconfig /renew, release worked fine, renew on the other hand, froze the command prompt window for a couple minutes, and then returned an error, also, before trying IPconfig I had tried the "repair this connection" button, and it returned the same error, which was along the lines of "your IP could not be renewed, please contact your network administrator" (I can try it again and write down the exact error message if necessary)

In addition to that, I had ran the "network setup wizard" as instructed, several times, attempting to get desktops A and B to connect, and they refuse to do so, even when I plug the CAT5 directly into both of them (taking the hub out of the equation), they are in the same workgroup, but on each one I checked the "my network places" and could only see the machine I was on, not the other, and both had the "network cable unplugged" message in the lower right corner, and the more I mess with it the more confused I get (I know a fair bit about PCs, but not a thing about networking...) so any help in fixing this problem and getting everything connected would be greatly appriciated,

If you need any more info about either desktop let me know and I will get it ASAP, thank you and have a great day

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Easy solution:

1) Buy a router specific to your internet type - that is, whether its ADSL or DSL. Your provider will know.
2) Plug all the computers and the XBox into the router. If you need more ports, use the switch. Or just plug one cable into the hub, the other end of this cable into one port on the router and plug all the computers into the switch instead.
3) Set up the router with your details to go online.
4) Have fun.
5) That is all.

Edited by Neil Jones, 11 February 2008 - 04:36 PM.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
you can buy a linksys router that has 4 port switch

CLICK THIS

It supports any kind of internet connectivity.
It also has a 4 port switch, you can plug 4 computers (HARDWIRED) or devices like XBOX and Playstation to it for internet sharing. And it also has a wireless capability. You can connect more than 4 computers if you are using a wireless connection. I think the price ranges from 64$ and up.