Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SI-390 Windows Drivers

• Please log in to reply

IAS

IAS

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm new here, so I apologies if this is a double post, I tried earlier but didn't seem to have any success!

Does anyone know where I could get Windows 98 drivers for SSI SI-390 External CD-ROM box (connects to parallel port)?

Any help would be appreciated,
IAS

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You shouldn't need any. You may need to add generic CD-ROM drivers to a couple of start-up files but apart from that you shouldn't need much else.
But you should go into the computer BIOS and set the parallel port to ECP/EPP mode.

IAS

IAS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your reply!

Maybe I should have given you a bit more info. I had the box running for several years in Windows 98 (but not SE) using the Windows 95 driver and it worked fine. However the other evening I tried to use a PC card 4-port USB adapter and the setup asked me to enter the Win 98 CD, unfortunately I enterd the Win 98 SE disk and since then the CD-ROM box has not worked!

When I go into Device Manager it shows me a yellow exclamation mark and tells me that "SSI EPAT-T2 Parallel Port ATAPI CD-ROM Adapter" is "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed (Code 10). Try upgrading the device drivers for this device".

The BIOS is set to PS2 (bi-directional) which I believe is the same as EPP?

Any other ideas would be much appreciated

regards,
IAS

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Bi-Directional is not the same as EPP. The latter is many times faster than the former.

So you basically have a hybrid Windows system made up of original Win98 files and Win98SE files? That's not good. Strange things happen with hybrid configurations that you'll find no help online for because it throws up errors that don't exist in a normal configuration. Realistically you should either upgrade the lot to 98SE (if you have such a disk) or reset the computer back to original Win98.

IAS

IAS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
and there's the catch, I need the CD-ROM working to upload windows...

IAS

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Not from DOS you don't.