Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Phantom Typing

• Please log in to reply

Benway

Benway

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I have not been able to find anything about this problem anywhere, so hopefully someone here knows something about it. It all started a few weeks ago when I was pressing some garlic and a little bit of water landed on the keyboard. I didn't notice until much later. Immediately after, everything went haywire. The control shift was wxza, 't' was lserds. I don't remember exactly but I was afraid that I would never be able to write a coherent sentence ever again. It wasn't much water, and by morning everything worked except for the 'z' key which still doesn't work. It gets typed after 'x' sometimes, but the actual key is dead.

About this same time, I found out about torrent files. And so, torrents so far have turned out to not be the cleanest possible files. So about a week ago, I do not know if this is related to the water or the torrents, but when I get to the blue Windows Log-in screen that pops up when the computer is started or after the screen saver has been on, now whatever I press, a mousepad click, the space bar, backspace, a letter, now matter what prompts a series of mystery circles to materialixxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I might as well leave that, as it is an example. I type 'x' to get a 'z' for the word above, and that many typed behind the x.
Anways, the bubbles that fill themselves in make it very hard to log in, and sometimes I have to restart the computer several times before it will work. Does anyone have any clue what sort of problem I have is? A proposed solution? Where I should be looking/looking at? Thank you

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
You did not state as to if the computer is a desktop, or a laptop.
Please let me know the make and model number of the machine.
Key boards are very inexpensive, even for testing purposes. Can you get an other keyboard to use for testing?

tailchaser

tailchaser

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Like hfcq said, can you try another keyboard if a desktop. I'm a service tech, and water can stay quite awhile inside, and if it gets inside the membrane its toast, replace it.

Benway

Benway

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, thank you for the fast replies. It is a Dell Latitude D600 laptop. So would you all assume that it is a keyboard problem rather than a software problem? It is the password being filled in wrong when I log in that really gets me.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
A laptop complicates things.
Lets hope that the keyboard controller did not get wet.
Let the keyboard have plenty of time to dry out.
In the meantime can you use a USB keyboard to see if the letters type ok?

Benway

Benway

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm a bit po' to be going out buying a new keyboard, so not immediately. That will have to wait until my ships come back in.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have the same keyboard problems if you boot to Safe Mode? If yes then it is most likely the keyboard. Leet it dry out real well. You could also try applying some gentle heat to it with a hair dryer on the low setting, while the laptop is powered off.