Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networked printer will not print

• Please log in to reply

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have two PCs running XP home. I ran the network Wizard on both machines and I can see the files and printer on the first machine. The printer shows ready and good to go but that is not the case. When I try to print nothing happens no error nothing nada.

I had HP check to see if I had the most recent driver and was told yes. I don't see how the windows firewall could be blocking because when running the Wizard it configures the firewall to allow file and print sharing or so that is what it says.
I have Avast on both machines. Could that be what is causing this problem? On second thought that does not make sense since I can access files on the first machine.

The computers are connected through a router. I know this can be done because I paid a tech 75.00 several years ago to network two 98 sec ed machines with this setup. This is the third time I have attempted to network. I almost have it but the printer is what I want to use and it seems impossible.The printer is a HP C3100 series all in one.

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
are you using a wireless connection?

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

are you using a wireless connection?

No. Just a large birdnest of wires.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
the explanation of the problem is a little confusing. Are you trying to print a file from a computer to the printer across another computer on your network? Or you're only trying to print a file from the computer where the printer is connected? Im asking for me to help you better. Thanks. :)

Edited by wytboy55, 11 February 2008 - 04:36 PM.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

the explanation of the problem is a little confusing. Are you trying to print a file from a computer to the printer across another computer on your network? Or you're only trying to print a file from the computer where the printer is connected? Im asking for me to help you better. Thanks. :)

On this networked PC I am trying to print something from a site to the printer attached to my other PC.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
let's assume that the computer where the printer is connected is computer2 and the computer 1 is where your trying to print the files.

Are you able to view the files of computer 2 from the computer 1?

also check this:

Start > Control PAnel > Network Connections or Network and Internet Connections > right click Local Area Connection > click properties > MAKE SURE that CLIENT for MICROSOFT NETWORKS is checked as well as FILE and PRINTER SHARING ..
make sure this is both enabled in both computers.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

let's assume that the computer where the printer is connected is computer2 and the computer 1 is where your trying to print the files.

Are you able to view the files of computer 2 from the computer 1?

also check this:

Start > Control PAnel > Network Connections or Network and Internet Connections > right click Local Area Connection > click properties > MAKE SURE that CLIENT for MICROSOFT NETWORKS is checked as well as FILE and PRINTER SHARING ..
make sure this is both enabled in both computers.

Don't appear tha "Client for microsoft networks " is on.

Edit: Dummy me I see now that is is ticked

Attached Thumbnails

• Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by Old Geezer, 11 February 2008 - 05:12 PM.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
try disabling all the internet security..
click on START>RUN> TYPE MSCONFIG > and then click SERVICES TAB at the top of the window
and then put a check on HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES, and then uncheck all the items referring to your internet security..
and then click APPLY>and then click CLOSE and RESTART your computer.

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

try disabling all the internet security..
click on START>RUN> TYPE MSCONFIG > and then click SERVICES TAB at the top of the window
and then put a check on HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES, and then uncheck all the items referring to your internet security..
and then click APPLY>and then click CLOSE and RESTART your computer.

I don't know what is going on. After struggling with this for four days I see this. Seems HP printers need an IP address. I saw no mention of an IP address when I ran the Windows network Wizard.This is impossible. Why would I choose to run without security?

http://it.cas.psu.ed...ress.htm#topic3

What does this mean?

Old Geezer

Old Geezer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks WYTboy. I now have file and print sharing working . Don't know exactly how but the last thing that fixed the problem was. I clicked to print and noticed the box had add printer . [bleep] I thought I had added the printer already. Anyway I clicked it and selected the printer to print to and then a driver was added and viola my print job printed.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
your welcome! glad you fixed it yourself. Our mistake is we didnt look at the basic things first. Thanks, i learned something from this as well.