Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bugs and worms and Malware...Oh my [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Ok, since Fasterfox is the only difference, try to disable that extension and see if it makes a difference.

But first, clean the cache and cookies in Firefox.

Sidenote... I run a forum myself and I've noticed that, after I update my forum - some do have problems with logging in and logging out if they use firefox... and that may be the same issue with her (most probably a cache/cookie issue)
In IE it works OK. That's why cleaning the cache and cookies works in such cases.

Can you also ask her what forum it is? So I can take a look. This because I know some forumsoftware may have issues with Firefox.

At present it is 6:00 in the morning and I will not be able to get another answer to you until she wakes because I do not know the log in and password for her admin forum.

You should sleep instead as well :) :)

Edited by miekiemoes, 18 February 2008 - 05:24 AM.

Advertisements

Cygnus

Cygnus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Cleared cache and cookies..... Firefox crashed

Disabled Fastfox..... Firefox crashed.

The problem occurs when she attempts to load the advanced mode of user group permissions for admins. The page attempts to load, hangs for up to a minute, then Firefox crashes.

IE runs like a champ for it. My laptop runs like a champ for it using Firefox. The only other small difference between the desktop and my laptop is our OS> I have Media Center Edition but I doubt that has anything to do with it because our properties both say Windows XP SP2 according to Hijackthis

The board is phpBB 2.0.20

There is a newer version available but that is for the site owner to dictate and still does not explain why it works on mine and not her system...

I guess the clean reinstall might have to be the next course of action if I can get her to stay off it long enough :)

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP

Cleared cache and cookies..... Firefox crashed

Disabled Fastfox..... Firefox crashed.

Well, I guess that's says more than enough.... a clean install of Firefox may be the best solution, because it appears that the Firefox profile is corrupted here.

Let me know how things went. :)

Cygnus

Cygnus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Would love to.... But guess what?

I cannot boot my laptop.

remember this?

Put her to the test yesterday with great results. Only one instance where explorer showed loaded in the task manager but no icons or windows bar. Ended the program and restarted it and the icons and bar came back. Not all the programs loaded though, like Spyware Doctor, but that was done manually. I guess all the "stress tests" I was putting her through got her.

It happened again. Well something was going on with my system...yes I did a download (or 2) and install of a program, but everything seemed fine till suddenly and my desktop was acting funny at the same time. This was while trying to figure out her forum issue. I made the last post and all went south.

I did a restart and got no explorer... showed as running, ended. and restarted, icons and taskbar showed so rebooted again to try to get a clean boot....all I got was a black screen. Nothing worked. Powered off and tried again.. Same thing. Powered down again. Went into safe mode and did a system restore to yesterday.... nothing. Have done another reboot and am in safe mode again. Not sure what to try. Gonna look at uninstalling anything that appears in add/remove that I did then see if that helps....

This is not my week...

[Edit]
OK never mind.... I had a few unmarked DVDs and CD laying about and was loading them earlier to see what was on them...also Doing some house cleanup and forgot I had a disc in the drive. Things were hanging even in safe mode but as soon as I remembered and ejected the disc.........all is good....

Man...

Edited by Cygnus, 18 February 2008 - 01:03 PM.

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Hi,

So this is with your computer again now....or your wifes? Because this is confusing. What did you install? Did you install it from a legal source? It looks like you got infected again.
Can you post a new HijackThislog?

Cygnus

Cygnus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
It's cool.... I left a bad burned DVD disc in the drive...when I ejected it, all was fine. Apparently it was trying to read bad sectors or something. The D/L was a youtube extractor.

My wife still has the issue but we have not had the chance to do a reinstall of Firefox to test that theory yet. Sorry....

Edited by Cygnus, 18 February 2008 - 01:22 PM.

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP

It's cool.... I left a bad burned DVD disc in the drive...when I ejected it, all was fine.

Lol..; yeah, that explains a lot as well :)

No problem about the Firefox reinstall, just take your time. Your wife can still moderate the forum with IE in a meanwhile. :)

Cygnus

Cygnus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
She still has not gotten to it and I am going to leave that to her. Meanwhile I have noticed that when I plug my S-cable into my
tv there is no picture any more. It worked previously. Any ideas?

And an aside: My DVD burner keeps giving me issues when burning DVDs. CDs work although I have had bugs with the Windows "Record now" software from time to time. I have been using Nero burning Rom 6, but for the last few months it has been a problem with DVDs. I had hoped we would have resolved the issue with the cleaning. Do you think it is a driver issue? I have checked the IDE properties before a burn and it is on UDMA (though sometimes it reverts to PIO on channel 2 and I have to uninstall and reboot to fix)

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Hi,

This rather looks like a hardware issue.. So for that, I recommend you start a new thread here:
http://www.geekstogo...-Audio-f87.html

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements