Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Data

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I have a raid striping configuration... and after replacing the mobo (old mobo is fried)... I am wondering how to recover data prior to reinstalling Windows XP (if that is necessary...) is it?

Or will reinstalling windows leave my files untouched? (I'm thinking it will write data unbiased and randomly cause damage to my files)

If I do have to backup my data first, do you have any suggestions on how to do it quickly and painlessly?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you replace with the same mother board? If so, as long as you setup RAID in BIOS the same, it should work as is.

Edit: Correct typos.

Edited by Ztruker, 11 February 2008 - 04:06 PM.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
It is a different mobo... otherwise as you say... I would not need to reinstall.

Any advice?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do a Repair Install then. It will leave your files untouched. You will have to reinstall some programs though.

Edited by Ztruker, 11 February 2008 - 04:06 PM.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hmmm...

I tried an failed on the first step... "SETUP did not find a harddrive"... etc...

I dont get it... I have my raid 0 configured in bios (correctly) and it shows during boot (displaying size and everything).

For some reason I can not get passed the first step in setup...

Any further advice?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have to install the SATA driver from diskette during the first part of the Repair Install where it says Press F6 ....?

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Okay... I missed that.

I found the raid drivers on my mobo cd... there are a bunch of raid drivers to choose from, their are four possibilities, and I'm not sure if I can go wrong or not...

MCP55 or C51 for XP or MCP55 or C51 for XP64 (I have 64 bit chipset, but my operating system is the normal one, so I'm guessing one of the first two should work.

I have no idea what the difference is between MCP55 or C51 though, so... I'm thinking though that they are just different drivers for the same thing?

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Seems to be working... its installing at the moment, so thank you.

I imagine the data should all be accessible still :)

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hmm...

Just when I thought it was all good :)

I installed windows (install windows - repair install (just as on the repair install pinned topic))

It went through the whole thing, all the steps... installed windows, I entered the windows key... it finished, tried to load windows... and restarted.

It loops... what must I do now? any advice?
Meanwhile I'll try and google some topics.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is your XP CD at SP1 or SP2 level? If SP2, press F8 at boot to get the Windows Selection screen then chose the option to Disable automatic restart. See if you get a blue screen error (BSOD) next time.

Also try booting to Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking, see if that works.

Advertisements

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
SP1 a and yes... there is BSOD before restart, I've tried to see what it is, but my eyes are not fast enough.

I am doing a repair install again because I think there was an option there for automatic restart.

Booting in safe mode does not work, it hangs on gagp30kx.sys

I'm beginning to wonder if its a driver issue...

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Doing a repair install didnt make a difference, and I cannot find where to turn off auto restart.

I'm not sure what to try next...

Any more advice? Or am I at the point where my data is not salvageable and I have to format etc... ?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't know if this applies to RAD or not, but you can save your data in a variety of ways in non-RAID setups.
  • Mount the drive in another computer as slave
  • Buy an external enclosure and mount it there and connect to another computer
  • Buy another hard drive. Remove current one, install new one, load XP, mount old one as slave
  • Buy something like a NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter and use it to connect to another compyter
Once you have the data saved, do a Clean Install

Let me see if I can get any of the other techs here to look in and offer advice.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I've asked for help,. Would you please post the make/model of the system board (old and new).

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
I am going to suggest a third party solution.
If you convert each drive back to a basic disc the data will not be on any drive in its entirety.
You may be able to piece together some of the data, but I doubt it.
here is a website that offers data recovery for RAID.