Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duplicate startup of programs

• Please log in to reply

BruceH

BruceH

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Startup_apr20.jpg When I upgraded from ME to XP Pro I did not like the start menu. Attempting to control the menu without understanding the system I dragged the Start menu contents of one user account into another. OK.
I tried to delete a Startup folder and was told I could not. I dragged the folder to another startup folder. First time was refused. Second time it disappeared.
I now get duplicate items in the system tray and other problems from programs trying to initiate twice. Including newly installed programs.
A list of startup files is attached from System Information. Sergei is the name of the box and there is no startup folder under default. If I remove shortcuts from all users\ \startup neither instance runs. If I add a startup folder to default\start menu\programs it is not recognized at bootup.
How do I straighten this out?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not sure what you even did.....

Start > Search
type Startup in the SEARCH FOR FILES OR FOLDERS
click TYPE, choose FOLDERS
click ADVANCED OPTIONS
click search SYSTEM, folders, hidden files and folders, and subfolders boxES

When the search completes, click VIEW > DETAILS, sort by INFOLDER by clicking on the column and take a snapshot.

We could tell you how to eliminate things, I think, but there is an underlying problem here that needs to be addressed and this may help

BruceH

BruceH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Startup_programs_system_Info_22apr5_40pm.jpg Search_result_Folders_22Apr_5_40_pm.jpg

Gerryf, Thanks for helping.
Folder search and new system info shot are attached.
In sequence of the folder search the contents are:

All Users and Default User: desktop.ini
Default\application data \\ : empty
default favorites \\ :web shortcuts only
default\my documents\\ : pages saved from web

default\startmenu\programs\startup : Has shortcuts to printer, quick books agent, and server4PC. But they do not run and system info does not recognize them. I created this folder by copying another startup folder and moved the shortcuts here from all users. The screenshot with my first post shows system info when these shortcuts were still in all users.

Guest\\\ :desktop.ini
Local Service \\\ :desktop.ini
windows\system32 \\\\ desktop.ini

Additional possible clues. When I boot in safe mode, Administrator is one of the accounts offered for login. When I boot normally only Default and Guest are offered. default was created at upgrade to xp and is included in administor group.

Today after a normal shutdown windows did a diskcheck but found no problems.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I was certain you had a startup folder in a startup folder, but no

lets try a hijackthis log

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw

Additional possible clues. When I boot in safe mode, Administrator is one of the accounts offered for login. When I boot normally only Default and Guest are offered.

is normal

BruceH

BruceH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Attached File  Hijack_startuplistApr22.txt   38.1KB   156 downloadsAttached File  hijackthisApr22.txt   9.79KB   148 downloads

Two Hijack logs attached.

Sorry, I reinstalled Norton systemworks, which makes the lists longer.