Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

linux and mac are different

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
As a linux user that follows all the linux questions posted here, I am sure that everyone will understand that mac questions do not interest me, but because both are lumped under "all other operating systems" I receive notifications of questions about mac that I cannot help with, that is where deleting them from my inbox is Ok but often the question is about a program or device that I don't know so I hit the link only to find out that it is Mac, and I imagine that the reverse is also true when someone who is interested in mac finds out that the question in fact relates to linux, thanks.

Advertisements

axesever

axesever

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I fail to see your point o.O

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
1. I would disagree they are not related. Mac OS X is a UNIX based operating system, just like Linux. Try it, run any common Linux command on an Apple OS X machine.

2. Neither Mac or Linux receives enough posts to warrant their own forum.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
all I am asking for is that inside "all other operating systems" it is sub divided any way you wish, between the two for the reason I have pointed out in the first post, I would be perfectly happy if you make it "mac" and "others" then, or at least advise members to state the system in the post's heading, well something that stops members like myself linking to learn that the subject matter isn't their system of interest, because being that there are hundreds of distros out there, I doubt that anyone knows all the programs that are in both mac and linux, hence the problem of miss linkage here

yes, neither linux nor nor mac need their own forum, just a subdivision within the all others systems would be great, thanks

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
We have experience and statistics to show that subforums are a bad idea.

If you want to kill a subject, make it into a subforum. This will not be happening any time soon.