Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Build - Looking for proper BIOS settings

• Please log in to reply

Fyrex

Fyrex

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright so a while ago I came on here for advice on my new computer build, and it was running fine for a while but then it was crashing and not starting up again, at first it was overheating, but I fixed that problem. Then the RAM voltage was too low which caused the games to continue crashing, and then my motherboard fried somehow. As in it would start up then crash about 30 seconds after, after it fried I managed to see the BIOS settings, and the RAM voltage was back down to being too low, and I never changed it back. I got a new motherboard to replace it, and I'd like to get all the settings right this time to make sure that no problems arise this time.

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz CPU
EVGA nforce 680i sli mobo
EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB graphics card
2x 1 Gig Corsair 1066 MHz RAM

If anyone can let me know what kind of BIOS settings I should change it would be very greatly appreciated, or any tips about this type of situation would also be appreciated.
Thanks,
Fyrex

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As a general rule, the default ones work. May not be the best ones, but they work. If in doubt, leave it alone. Frying your (computer) bits by feeding them too much voltage in the BIOS is not a good idea as it will void any warranties that you have. Also overclocking will shorten the life of the computer and is also not covered by your Intel three year warranty.

Edited by Neil Jones, 11 February 2008 - 05:40 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Fyrex

According to Corsair, all of the 1066MHz DDR2 modules I could find on their website use a voltage of 2.2V.

You should find however that the motherboard automatically sets the correct voltage anyway. If for any reason, your system seems to have set a ram voltage other than 2.2V, then check what the correct voltage should be for your particular memory before changing anything. Just because all of the examples I found use 2.2V, doesn't mean that your particular ram was one of the ones I looked at.

Also bear in mind the old adage - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Hi Fyrex

According to Corsair, all of the 1066MHz DDR2 modules I could find on their website use a voltage of 2.2V.

You should find however that the motherboard automatically sets the correct voltage anyway. If for any reason, your system seems to have set a ram voltage other than 2.2V, then check what the correct voltage should be for your particular memory before changing anything. Just because all of the examples I found use 2.2V, doesn't mean that your particular ram was one of the ones I looked at.

Since both the motherboard and the memory support JEDEC standards, the voltage should be autoed at 1.85V. However, this should not cause instability as the JEDEC specs should also be autoed to loser-than-normal timings to compensate for the lack of voltage. If you would like instructions on how to tighten your timings and increase the RAM voltage, please post the part # of your RAM.

I have this exact motherboard, so if you have any specific questions, don't be afraid to ask. :)

Edited by stettybet0, 11 February 2008 - 05:57 PM.

Fyrex

Fyrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright, I'm only worried about problems because I had a ton with crashing/blue screens then my motherboard eventually fried. It is currently at 1.8V.
I'll set it up to 2.2 and I shouldnt worry about the rest?

is it possible that all the problems I was having before was directly because of the faulty motherboard?

Edited by Fyrex, 11 February 2008 - 06:58 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No. I said if your voltages aren't 2.2v, then don't go changing anything yet!
The 2.2V I quoted was based on the examples of DDR2 1066MHz I could find on Corsairs website. It doesn't mean that yours should be running at 2.2V.

Leave it as it is for now. If you get problems with it, then find out exactly which ram you have (as Corsair make lots of different ones) and we can work it out from there

Remember - setting the voltage too low is unlikely to damage anything. Setting it too high however is another matter...

Edited by Samm, 11 February 2008 - 07:02 PM.

Fyrex

Fyrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright, I remember before I replaced my motherboard it was causing crashes, bluesceens. When the voltage was too low, but I guess I'll give it a shot.