Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to change path name

• Please log in to reply

adqjohn

adqjohn

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I recently was given a laptop from a friend whose son had died. She wanted all of his personal data copied off of it and cleaned up so another son may have it without that data, but still use all the programs that had been installed. I transferred about 3.5 GB of stuff to DVD and have very carefully gone in and deleted all the original files. It is a Dell Inspiron E1505 with Vista Home Premium.

I renamed his single logon account from "Pete" to "AdminLap" and then created a limited user account also. So I have removed virtually all traces of Pete now, except that all path names still look like C:\Documents and Settings\Pete\Application. Short of a reinstall, which I cannot do (or lose the other software), how can I change the Pete to another name? Hmmmm.....is it possible?

Thanx boys and girls

Advertisements

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
http://banagale.com/...ndows-vista.htm

One of the things I really like about Vista is the help. So far it has delivered the goods as I get adjusted to the changes from XP. One of the things I didn’t find easily in Windows Vista help was how to change my system path.

A system path is an environment variable and has been around since the DOS days. Back then you wanted to be able to execute certain files from anywhere in your file system. Now-a-days there isn’t much emphasis on maintaining a good system path because people generally create shortcuts directly to the programs they need (or the installation software does it for you). Also most people don’t use the command prompt at this point.

Our local development environment for Podcastinople is pretty complicated. It uses a lot of Ruby on Rails components, ImageMagick, Rmagick, Tortoise SVN and Posgres SQL. I had to get all these installed and set up because of my migration to a clean install of Vista, and one of the steps is a manual change to the system path.

So when Windows Vista Help let me down I searched G for system path windows vista and came up with nothing. A little guessing based on a guide for XP and I was able to find it. There are two ways to do this.

The easy way:

Click Start and choose Control Panel
In the Search box on the top right of the window type “system path” (no quotes)
Click “Edit the system environment variables”
Begin at step 4 below.
The hard way:

Click Start and choose Control Panel
Click System, on the right you’ll see “View basic information about your computer”
On the left is a list of tasks, the last of which is “Advanced system settings.” Click that.
The Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog box is shown. Click the Environment Variables button on the bottom right.
In the lower box titled “System Variables” scroll down to Path and click the Edit button.
Change your path as need be.
Restart your system. Vista didn’t pick up the system path environment variable change until I restarted.

adqjohn

adqjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Gumby.....Wow. That took me to a place I had never explored before. When I got to the editing, in the variable values there was nothing I could find where I could actually change (or even see) the name. What I ended up doing was just creating another administrator account and deleting the pete(admin) account. I guess that sometimes the easy way is also the quickest. Thanx for info tho, I'm always learning from you guys and gals.