Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus on main network computer.

• Please log in to reply

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I don't know where this goes but it has something to do with networking so if it gets moved I understand.

My dad found out today that he had 30 of the same trojan horse called TrojanHorsekillAV.HV except in different places. How can we get rid of this virus before it spreads to the rest of the network? If I get a virus on this machine and it erases everything I am not installing XP 5 times in the same year. It disabled AVG so he can't run the test thing, they all moved to the Virus Vault.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have him go to the Malware section of this forum and follow the instructions at the top. Especially the Click Here link. That will give him several steps that will help him clean up most of all problems by himself. If at the end of the cleanup process he is still having difficulty, and he may not be, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Please be patient as the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.

If he is still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the Malware Section, please return to this thread. Please do not post a HiJackThis log in this thread unless asked to do so and then only as an attachment. To attach log, when requested, either change the .log extension to .txt, or put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

Please post back if his problem has been solved.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 11 February 2008 - 06:23 PM.

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
It seems like re-installing AVG worked but I dunno where the virus went because he scanned and nothing came up. That's a weird trojan, never heard of anything like that in my life.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
No one or two programs can catch all the malware on a computer, but if you feel safe enough to not go to the malware section, then that is your decision. Scanning with one program is not much help even if the database is kept up to date, but it is better than nothing.

Ron