Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nvidia 9600gt

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
some of you might have heard about this before but:

NVIDIA 9600GT is suffering delays due to some cards have voltage offset issues, can not make it to the Valentine’s Day. But we try to dig out some more informations of the card.

Right after the card hits the market in February 21 (local time, china), there will be two versions available. The first one is 512MB and a 256MB version will also be released.

The price of 9600GT will be set between $169 USD and $189 USD. More higher than its predecessor, 8600GT’s launch price.

Our source said AA performance of 9600GT will be optimized, by utilizing less graphic memory than GeForce 8 series.

And, in the new ForceWare NV will also enhance video playback quality of 9600GT, by making it more colorful. Because users are complaining the color is too “light” when using GeForce card to output Hi-def video comparing to ATI Radeon’s.

OMG!!!! I dont have that kind of money!

Is there a possible replacement?

NVIDIA SEEMS TO be hitting on all cylinders recently, and the streak continues.

The delay to the 9600GT we told you about two weeks ago has been added to. It is now a week after the week delay, so the 21st is now the 28th.

At this rate, one week out for every two weeks closer, the two will overlap at about CeBIT, and the universe will collapse on itself from irony.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 11 February 2008 - 08:19 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The 512MB version (there will also be a 1GB version) should be released for about $150-$170 USD on anywhere between February 19th and February 21st. This is not including mail-in rebates, as there is always one of those to be found.

Keep in mind that it will have at least twice the power of an 8600GT, so you can expect the price to be a bit higher for a while.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The way the trend has been going many video cards have been going for more than there pre-release predictions. Before the 8800GT was release it was said to be a $200 card.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
NVIDIA would be nuts to sell a mid-range card for much more than $170. You get too close to the 8800GT at that point.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

NVIDIA would be nuts to sell a mid-range card for much more than $170. You get too close to the 8800GT at that point.

That is why I'm so confused with the pricing right now, I can find 8800GT in canada for >$200. Then again I'm still confused about how low the release price was for the 8800GT and HD3870. I would have guessed they would retail a lot higher. However we have to keep in mind that a price fixing operation was discovered between ATI and nVidia and I'm pretty sure it's still under investigation. So with that in mind when competition heats up again (will Intel release a new GPU?), I think prices are going to drop significantly for the performance offered, which is why I'm not upgrading my HD2900XT till the R700/G100 is released. That's still a year away. Also, suposidly a new 8800GS card is going to be released, though it'll be a temperary card just like the HD2900pro and HD2900GT was.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The 8800GS was already released in some European markets, but I don't think it will ever make it across the ocean to us (or at least not in time to be a feasible buy), since the 9600GT will outperform it. The 8800GS was just a very, very temporary fix to combat the HD3850. Apparently NVIDIA only felt the need to do so in parts of Europe.

Also, G100 and R700 aren't an entire year away. I'd be very suprised if they weren't released before the end of fiscal year 2008, which ends September 30, 2008.

Edited by stettybet0, 11 February 2008 - 09:43 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
AMD already announced that the R700 is going to be delayed to 2009.
I still do not understand why the fiscal year ends on the 30th of september, never made any sense to me.
http://www.xbitlabs....hics_Chips.html

As for nVidia, I'm not sure about them as I don't watch their release dates as closely as I should, I'm thinking they'll have something on the market before the christmas season, as any bright company would. I curious as to what Intel is going to develop, though I'm not going to be a beta tester for them and won't be purchasing their first card.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 February 2008 - 09:46 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hmm, well I guess I haven't been as up-to-date on AMD as I should be. :) But still, I think the R700 might get released sooner, because ATI doesn't NVIDIA to have no competition for nearly half a year (if the G100 gets released in August as planned).

As for your fiscal year confusion (note that the September 30th end to the fiscal year is for the US Government, but is also what is usually referenced to in buisness articles):

Often the fiscal or tax year is specifically established not to match the calendar year (also called natural year) so that accounting year-end work does not coincide with periods of high activity, such as the Christmas shopping rush for retailers, or with holiday periods when employees may prefer to take vacation.

A popular use of a non-calendar year as the fiscal year involves retailers. In many countries, at the end of December, levels of inventory, receivables and payables will be higher than at other month ends and consequently more complex and time-consuming to measure accurately. Therefore, retailers commonly use a month other than December to end their fiscal year.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

But still, I think the R700 might get released sooner, because ATI doesn't NVIDIA to have no competition for nearly half a year (if the G100 gets released in August as planned).

I have my doubts that nVidia really will release their next generation card before Q4 2008. There is no need for them to do so as long as there is no competition, then again to counter my argument, everyone has a 8800 series card and are looking for something new. At this point in time anything is possible.

As for ATI, I think they are overstating their estimate so that they don't piss people off if a repeat of the HD2900XT occurs. It looks better to investors if you release hardware early then late. So if you have issues, people will still be happy as you have no raised expectations, but if you release a way ahead of schedule people will be very happy. I think it would be idiotic on AMD/ATI's behalf to release a product after christmas. But sometimes you don't have control over this.

As you can see, there are many variables that can go either way, so if hardware is schedualled to release more the a month off, I don't hold my breath for it as delays seem to plague this industry.
James

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Oh, well that settled my worries a little.

anyways..

I ended up getting this PSU http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153052

Will it be able to support the 9600gt or maybe a 8800gt?

thanks.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That PSU should handle those cards fine.
James

Edited by james_8970, 12 February 2008 - 02:16 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
!!!!

I just found http://www.tigerdire...AIN#detailspecs at $219 at microcenter!!!!

IMAGES(big):
Posted Image

I was thinking maybe returning my 2g RAM I just ordered and getting this instead??

ideas.

theres also this.
http://www.tigerdire...AIN#detailspecs

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 13 February 2008 - 07:37 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The 8800 GT is a much better card then the older 8800 GTS 320mb cards.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

That would greatly depend on what resolution he was gaming at.
James

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

That would greatly depend on what resolution he was gaming at.
James

well, I would be playing at probably around 1280x1024 or however high i can play with 1g stick of ram

I sorta need to know pretty quick because the deal on the 8800gt is over pretty soon.