Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nvidia 9600gt

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
not sure if this is credible. but i found this..

http://forums.anandt...hreadid=2151169

and apparently, warranty for the 1st year you just ship to NCIX.

and i have space to spare on TOP of my card..

yea.. my Case is strange..

everything is on the LEFT side of the case instead of the normal RIGHT side orientation.

so my GFX cards face UP instead of down

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

probably still going with the E-VGA one... I only need 20 bucks more! XD

any good aftermarket fans/coolers under $20? I plan to OC this card to the max just like my X300.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 15 February 2008 - 06:04 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As long as you set the fan manually to high speeds (as opposed to the default 29%), it would probably not be the best use of your money to get an aftermarket cooler for the card. You can manually set the speeds with nTune or RivaTuner. I recommend RivaTuner, because it can automatically set your custom fan speed and overclock settings when Windows starts up.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
thanks. i'm probably picking up my card sometime tommorow so that I can get it before they run out!

~~~~

Random question, my PSU buzzes sometimes.. is it because it's not seated properly? I think ill rescrew it in today again or something.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 15 February 2008 - 06:39 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

For the Galaxy one:

Pros:

• Better-than-reference fan.
Cons:
  • Little-known (at least in the US), Chinese brand. (Therefore, it probably contains high amounts of lead paint. :))
  • I couldn't find any warranty info, but it'd sure cost a bundle to send it back to China to be repaired or replaced.
  • The fan looks like it would take up an adjacent peripheral slot.

Galaxy is fine. HIS is based on Hong Kong, though I'm pretty sure these companies have a depo somewhere in north america. These cards sell great where I shop, Galaxy just entered the North American market, started with NCIX I believe. The fan is very good on that card.
Here is the big thing to take note of, the warranty is only 1 year and doesn't cover as much as the expensive cards. It's for this reason they are able to sell them for less.
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Random question, my PSU buzzes sometimes.. is it because it's not seated properly? I think ill rescrew it in today again or something.

Sounds like the fan is going. If it does die, just replace your PSU, trying to replace the fan on a PSU is putting your life on the line. You risk dying from electrocution.
James

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I dont think it's the fan. Because i just got this PSU.

I just put some padding between the PSU and the case and it seems fine now.. only time will tell..

I'm gonna delay sending in the MIR for another week.

~~~~~~

so what card do you suggest getting?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I dont think it's the fan. Because i just got this PSU.

That doesn't mean anything.

so what card do you suggest getting?

Either wait or get the 8800GT.
James

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Hmm... so i got my 8800gt. but there maybe a problem..

I've downloaded all the latest patches but the small text doesnt look as "crisp" as my x300. But the ingame GFX are AMAZING>>>> HOLY CRAP WHAT A IMPROVEMENT> played Portal on 16AA 16AF full settings. AMAZING>

and i'm at 45C at idle???????

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 17 February 2008 - 07:40 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
45C at idle isn't too bad. But if you start getting too hot during gaming, remember what I said about the fans?

As long as you set the fan manually to high speeds (as opposed to the default 29%), it would probably not be the best use of your money to get an aftermarket cooler for the card. You can manually set the speeds with nTune or RivaTuner. I recommend RivaTuner, because it can automatically set your custom fan speed and overclock settings when Windows starts up.

As for the blurry text, try changing the resolution to your monitor's native resolution. It might have defaulted to something less-than-ideal.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
yea, i changed the fans to 75% and i cant hear it over my other fans XD

I'm at 1680x1050 which is my native.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You might need to change your monitor's refresh rate. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel, and select Resolution on the left-hand side. Change the refresh rate to 60hz (which is the highest most LCDs support).

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The proper refresh rate should default and an improper refresh rate would cause flickering, not unclear text.
Please use clear type from Microsoft to clean up your text. More information regarding this utility can be found here
Please follow the instructions at this site to enable this feature. Please note, it's automatically enabled in vista.
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 February 2008 - 01:04 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
sigh. i need a CPU upgrade..

there is SO MUCH bottlenecking. im getting 4.5k on 3dmark06 O.o

I cant get a C2D anytime soon. any good procs for me?

i have a pent 4 HT 3ghz

I cant overclock

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
On an LCD, there is no flicker due to the lack of cathode ray tubes. However, a low refresh rate on an LCD can cause things to look a bit blurry. This is why when watching HDTV, the signals ending in "p" (480p, 720p, 1080p) appear more clear than their "i" counterparts (480i, 720i, 1080i), as the progressive ("p") signals use a 60hz refresh rate, while the interlaced ("i") signals use a 30hz refresh rate.

Anyways, if a Core 2 Duo is out of the picture, you won't be getting much of an upgrade with a faster P4 or a Pentium D. I would recommend saving up for a new mobo and a Core 2 Duo. It may take longer to get, but your money will be much better spent in the end.

Edited by stettybet0, 17 February 2008 - 09:59 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
i just feel like i'm not getting the most for my money :)

anyways...

crysis runs very well on 1680x1050 with low settings and 2x AA