Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media test failure, check cable

• Please log in to reply

davidkent89

davidkent89

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, i'm new to this forum.
I have recently had a problem with my laptop which i cannot sort.
I was in the middle of using it when the BSOD (blue screen of death) appeared. I thought nothing of it and rebooted, however it wouldn't reboot.
It comes up with 'Media Test Failure, Check Cable' then after a few seconds comes up with no O/S Found.
I have been told that it is the Hard drive. I have bought a new one, which it will not format, and comes up with the same error.
I was then told the CMOS battery, which i have replaced, still no luck.

Its an HP pavilion ze5232 Laptop, spec P4 2.53GHz, 512MB PC2700 DDR, 40GB hard drive.
Any help[ would be much appreciated, as i need this urgently for my coursework for school and revision for my upcoming GCSE's.
Thanks very much
David :tazz:

Advertisements

davidkent89

davidkent89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Also, forgot to add, both hard drives are detected in the bios, and seem to be registered in there fine capacity wise etc.
The IDE cable isn't even an IDE cable, it goes from the socket straight to the motherboard, and there looks to be no connection problems that i can see all over what i can get to on the board.
David

davidkent89

davidkent89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
any suggestions, please :tazz:
Thanks
David