Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IMAP4SVC Not starting automatically

• Please log in to reply

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi, lately on the exchange 2003 server I have, I have been having an issue with the IMAP4 service not starting when the server is restarted. It could be that it never did this properly, since we have only one users phone that needs imap on the server, and so has only just be turned on a few weeks ago. Anyway, if I start the service manually it operates properly and without generating errors in the event log, but if it tries to start it automatically I get the following two error messages which show up in the application event log:

source: imap4svc
event id: 1040
Desc: An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 Service: the call to DsctxGetContextEx() failed with error 0x8007077f.

&

source: imap4svc
event id: 1040
desc: An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 Service: the call to IIS_SERVICE::StartServiceOperation() failed with error 0x8007077f.

When checking some of the other logs, there are some other errors, which to me sortof sound like the network connection for the server is not yet available when it attempts to start the imap4svc, such as not finding any DS servers, one related to not being able to process group policy events...I may do some more checking in to those errors, incase they are the cause of the issues with imap. Does anyone have other ideas I could check?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Got the problem resolved, it turns out that something was corrupt with the computer account in active directory. After manually removing that and rejoining to the domain, correcting group permissions for the exchange server, etc. the problem has gone away.