Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows explorer - change default opening view

• Please log in to reply

robert_ca

robert_ca

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all

is it possible to edit registry (or whatever) to change Windows Explorer's default opening screen from Tiles to Details,

also configure Windows Exploerer to restart on last open folder when reopening Windows Explorer instead of the default My Documents.

ttyl
tia

robert_ca

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello robert_ca and welcome to Geeks to Go!

For your first question, it's easier than a registry edit. Just open an explorer window and choose the view you want. Next, go to Tools | Folder Options, select the View tab, and click Apply to All Folders.

As for the second item, I don't know if there is a way to have explorer open to the last location, but you can choose where it opens:
Set Windows Explorer startup folder

The other option you have is, in the same view as before, choose "Restore previous folder windows at logon" in the Advanced settings section. Then if you leave a folder open in explorer when you log off, it will come back when you log on.

Regards,

Ax

robert_ca

robert_ca

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Ax

thanks for the quick response

first question --> jeeze I should have remembered that, that works great

second item --> thankfor the tip to Set Windows Explorer startup folder

> The other option you have is, in the same view as before, choose "Restore previous folder windows at logon" in the Advanced settings section.
> Then if you leave a folder open in explorer when you log off, it will come back when you log on.

that setting is checked but still not going to last dir that I was in open. win3.11 File Manager did, but since we've gone from a 5 or 6 meg OS to the 2gig bloatware that xp is things are so much better hehehe

have a good day
robert_ca

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I'm glad the first one worked for you. With the second one, I don't know why it wouldn't work.