Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista can't erase disks

• Please log in to reply

Gemius

Gemius

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've been trying to erase my eight back up disks following re installation of Live Onecare on my Vista Home Premium system. I've gone through erase and formatting but when I try to use the disks I get the same message. 'Insert a blank disk as this one has data on it' Does anyone know why Vista can't erase the disks properly so they can be used again?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Are they cd-rw or dvd-rw disks?

Murray

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
They are DVD+RW.
The writer I have is a Samsung SH-W183 18X18 DVD+-RW Serial ATA Dual Layer ReWriter. I got it because it's supposed to be able to write to RAM disks as well and my DVD player with our TV takes RAM disks. I tried recording on RAM disks and playing them on the TV for other purposes but was never successful so I bought some of each type and happened to use the DVD+RW for my back up.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
DVD+RW disks are unique in the fact you DON'T erase them in order to use them again. You simply burn over top of the existing data.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 13 February 2008 - 03:39 PM.

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you for that Murray. I've never come across it before but it explains why Live OneCare doesn't like them. I'll buy a new set of disks and try again.
Many thanks

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What I would try now before you go out and buy more is to format those dvd's.

You just may get them working again.

Murray