Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how clean up DEP/Generic Host Process/BEX error?

• Please log in to reply

on2nt

on2nt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Suggestions for cleaning up DEP Gen HP BEX error?
I disabled WIA as a workaround, but I want to fix problem underlying i

Hi,

I am a new member. I am looking for suggestions for cleaning up the source of a Data Execution Prevention action triggered by Generic Host Process that when interrupted says EventType BEX in the accompanying message (see below for detail).

What I have seen on the web is that the most likely cause is HP printer driver or other software. I plan to reinstall HP software for an OfficeJet 7310xi unless others might know more and suggest otherwise. Thanks in advance if you know something about this kind of issue.

The symptoms of the problem were on startup the appearance of multiple Data Execution Prevention (DEP) messages from the previous Win XP session with a request to send info to MS and also that Windows Explorer took a very long time to find disk drives, folders and files when started up.

I have a workaround for the symptoms in disabling WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) in Services. That stops the DEP messages at the next login and makes Windows Explorer fast again.

Here is more of the detail from the message I get if I leave WIA on automatic or manual rather than disabled:
EventType : BEX P1 : svchost.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.2180 P3 : 41107ed6
P4 : unknown P5 : 0.0.0.0 P6 : 00000000 P7 : 009a9eec
P8 : c0000005 P9 : 00000008
Error report will include files
C:\DOCUME~1\Jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9fd2.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9fd2.dir00\appcompat.txt

When I open appcompat.txt I see the following except that I deleted the additional information beyond the SIZE data:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<DATABASE>
<EXE NAME="SYSTEM INFO" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_SYSTEM">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="advapi32.dll" SIZE="616960"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="gdi32.dll" SIZE="282112"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="984576"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="ntdll.dll" SIZE="708096"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="ole32.dll" SIZE="1285120"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="oleaut32.dll" SIZE="549376"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="shell32.dll" SIZE="8454656"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="user32.dll" SIZE="577536"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="wininet.dll" SIZE="824832"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="winsock.dll" SIZE="2864"
</EXE>
</DATABASE>

The good news is that the message is always the same. The better news is that I now have a less annoying experience witheout the messages. The great news would, of course, be fixing the underlying problem.

Advertisements

rolandcoulter

rolandcoulter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Finally I was able to eliminate the problem with the work around. It would be nice to know how to really correct the problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bumping on a subject that is almost 2 years old will probably not get you any help. I suggest starting your own topic and then someone can assist you.
Thank you for your cooperation.