Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC problem

• Please log in to reply

triad636

triad636

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit. For some reason my connection will just suddenly stop working. I'll notice if I go to a website, in either IE or Firefox I will get a timeout error. Then next to go will be my MSN messenger, but my connection will still be going... I try to resolve the problem with the diagnose and repair option in vista and it gives me a "cannot connect to microsoft.com" error.

Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC driver: 6.101.1124

I'm pretty sure that is the latest driver, and Vista will not allow me to install a earlier version (I've noticed its been happening ever since I updated it, which was a few months ago). Is there anything I can do? Please help, I've searched countless places and can't figure out what the problem is. I've tried disabling/enabling the connection whe this happens, I've tried "ipconfig /renew" in cmd.. The only thing that will fix it is a restart. Please help :)

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
if it will not let you install a newer version. Uninstall the driver completely, dont just overwrite it. And then install the basic driver version again from a cd.

You can also try to do system restore on the computer.

System Restore lets you go back to the previous settings you have on the computer (the settings that worked for you). You can go back like months earlier. This will undo the updates that you downloaded from the internet. Dont worry this will not delete the recent files that you created. Only the settings and the programs installed. If you need help on how to do system restore or uinstalling programs. Let us know. :)

Edited by wytboy55, 12 February 2008 - 06:12 PM.

triad636

triad636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

if it will not let you install a newer version. Uninstall the driver completely, dont just overwrite it. And then install the basic driver version again from a cd.

You can also try to do system restore on the computer.

System Restore lets you go back to the previous settings you have on the computer (the settings that worked for you). You can go back like months earlier. This will undo the updates that you downloaded from the internet. Dont worry this will not delete the recent files that you created. Only the settings and the programs installed. If you need help on how to do system restore or uinstalling programs. Let us know. :)

I will try that, It was a last resort type of thing, because sometimes I don't remember what I had installed afterwards.. The last time I tried to uninstall the driver, my computer immediately reinstalled it, so I don't know what to do if the restore doesn't work.

triad636

triad636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, that is out of the question, I can only go back as far as the 9th of this month.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
did you check the option that says "SHOW RESTORE POINTS OLDER THAN 5 DAYS"? if you dont put a check on it. and let me know what happened.

If you really cannot do sytem restore, try to uinstall the driver again, and then reinstall it w/o rebooting the computer, so that windows will not install the native driver

triad636

triad636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

did you check the option that says "SHOW RESTORE POINTS OLDER THAN 5 DAYS"? if you dont put a check on it. and let me know what happened.

If you really cannot do sytem restore, try to uinstall the driver again, and then reinstall it w/o rebooting the computer, so that windows will not install the native driver

I guess Home basic does not have that option, as I do not see it anywhere. Also, when I try to uninstall the driver, it immediately reinstalls.. I didn't ever restart.. it does it instantaneously... Windows update seemed to have a new version of my driver, when I installed it it went ok.. but I checked the driver and it was the same version, just a more current date..

It had been working for a day or two, and the problem just happened again.. I'm running out of ideas.

Edited by triad636, 15 February 2008 - 09:05 PM.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
this could be an OPERATING SYSTEM problem or your computer might be infected with a spyware or virus. You have two options, you can reinstall windows or go to our malware forum to fix this problem. Im pretty sure it's a software problem because it's intermittent.