Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router problem or what...?

• Please log in to reply

tylerneedshelp45

tylerneedshelp45

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a net gear wireless router comcast gave me after my linksys failed that I bought from them. It's only gave me problems since I've got it. First off I can't run my wii from it when I do the router turns off, when I host a game on my xbox it turns off or when I join a halo game it turns off. Only one Comcast person has come up with an answer but I don't believe him he said I have to move my router downstairs because It doesn't get enough uploading speed Is this true or do I need to buy a new router ?

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
make sure there are no interference along the house. Turn off other wireless devices or at least dont put them near the router. Also make sure that there are not thick walls between the router and the device you are trying to connect to router. Large bodies of water can interfere with wireless connections as well (like aquarium). Try putting the router at least 6 feet closer to the xbox or wii and see if there are changes. Also try to change the channels on the router, (you need a computer to do that). Sometimes turning off the router for a minute and turning it back on will refresh the connection.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do you know what model netgear you have?

You may also need to do a firmware update.

tylerneedshelp45

tylerneedshelp45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
netgear CG814WG
I'll look for a firmware update if you have it please respond

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
You need to ask the company where you bought the modem from. This is from the NETGEAR official website.

click here the link:

http://kbserver.netg...cts/CG814WG.asp